• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Wheel bearing information

BrApple

No Life But CEG
Here is info from the 95 shop manual. As you can see there should be two snap rings. However after replacing a number of bearings on 99's there is only the inner snap ring.

Please also note that to properly install a wheel bearing the inner or outer portion of the bearing must be properly supported when the bearing is being pressed into the spindle and when the hub is pressed into the bearing.

As a reminder the axle nut is tightened to 212 ft/lbs. If not the new bearings will get ruined.

wheelbearing1.jpg

wheelbearing2.jpg

Somebody just figured out how to get a bonus by saving Ford half its' snap ring cost. The ring can go on either side depending which way you want to press the bearing. Pic is best, easiest that side to press and the ring then acts somewhat as a shield for bearing side plate especially if using plastic shielded bearing.

See Ford pic F8432-A higher up. The puller shown there may not cut it, the small wrench used there is pretty funny. Often I've had to use a MUCH bigger puller, sometimes that bearing is in there brother. If you borrow/rent say O'Reilly's puller at that size you may find yourself paying for it when it self destructs trying to yank that bearing. Please don't ask how I know this...................

If you are careful, and the original snap ring is not too worn, you can re-use the old snap ring. Also, I have noticed from personal experience replacing my bearings, that once the bearing is pressed, or banged into position, the inner snap ring is more of a necessary component to install, because pressing (or, banging) the hub into place is from the outer to inner portion of the bearings, so having the snap ring on the inner side provides more support to the pressed bearing.

Back