• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Steering Rack for 16" wheels

RanMan56

New CEG'er
Hey All,
I'm in process of upgrading the suspension on my '99 Mystique (4 banger-A/T) with used parts from a SVT Contour. In my search for part numbers, I've noticed a unique part # for the rack used with 16" wheels (which I now have from the SVT). Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the racks. There are 3 separate part numbers listed for 14-15 and 16" wheels.

With only 29K miles, the little Merc has excessive play in the rack. This was a true "little old lady" car and, unless she hit some ginormous potholes, I see no reason for the rack to be so sloppy. Anyone else experienced premature rack play? I'm not seeing much about this being a common problem.

Thanks, Randy

Well, I have a '95 Zetec w/MTX-75. At 203k miles zero play in steering! I also have been running 16" SVT E0 wheels for over the last 100k miles - no issues have arose. I do recall seeing in the rockauto.com catalog a unique part number for a steering component; but I don't recall if it was the rack, outer or inner tie rod ends. It is not at all uncommon for FORD to change part numbers on us withing different years, for otherwise identical components.

The SVT used a slightly quicker rack than the others (fewer turns lock-to-lock). I believe they used the same rack in the 01-02 Cougar (99-00 Cougars used the same rack as the base Contours).

The 99 Cougar uses a 15.6:1 steering ratio, the SVT is 14.5:1.

Plus the Inner tie rod ends are longer on 16 in wheels. Could be inner/outer tie rod stuff and the rack could be fine.

The only difference that I recall ever reading about is the stops in the steering rack. The SVT has a smaller turning radius. You can run 16" + wheels on a base car. Its just at full lock they might rub.

Running E0 wheels (16") on my '95 'Tour (Zetec, manual windows, base model) and with 225/50 X 16 tires. I have zero rubbing on full lock. Of course not every 225/50 tire has the same width (manufacture/model dependent).

Back