• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Ksports spring modifications

svtlover

CEG'er
I haven't seen a thread where someone has tried to do this. I installed a full Ksports kit because I wanted adjustability both in height and because these are 36-way adjustable - much more than, say, Koni yellows. I knew full well the ride quality would be stiff, but was hoping the canned advertisements stating the ride quality could be "OEM" on full soft would at least be somewhat accurate. I was wrong. I want decent ride quality for DD use, which for me is about 90% of my driving time, but that would still do well on the track or, at the very least, when putting her through the paces on a nice twisty mountain road. So, after a rather long search, I've located a company that will make me a set of custom-matching springs to retrofit with no perch mods necessary. Just R & R! Estimated cost of the front/rear sets is $500 - about twice the norm but still doable for my budget. If anyone else is interested in a set, or maybe in doing a group buy, post here or on the facebook CSVT site now BEFORE I order. In this way, maybe they will drop the price a little. For the most part though I just want to add this to the contour.org database in case anyone else could use the info some day. I will add to this thread as this final stage of my suspension build progresses and then finally comes to a close. Wish me luck. All I want is the "perfect" (by my standards) combination of ride quality and adjustability (lol).

Hey, it's "Edge" from Facebook. I'm assuming you're not going the route of using the Ground Control/custom top hats to run 2.5" ID springs anymore, huh? Any particular reason why? It would be more cost effective as 2.5" replacement springs from KSport run about $44 or so, and then the top hates I think they quoted me at $22 a piece, so $88 for all 4.

From what I've read, the GC springs are still pretty stiff, so here I am. I'm tired of screwing with it and want to know for sure I'll get what I want......but I'll start the conversation back on fb with you. Maybe you know something I don't (I hope).

What's that mean?

Spring force is normally expressed in pounds/inch or Newtons/mm

Neither of those numbers comes up to anything reasonable in terms of N/mm or N/M.

For reference, factory spring rates of an SVT Contour are ~125 pounds/inch front and ~105 pounds/inch rear, or 22 N/mm front and 18.4 N/mm rear

With a 2.5" race spring conversion, a decent street ride and very competent handling can be obtained with 400 pounds/inch front and 300 pounds/inch rear.

N/mm * 5.710143 = lb/in

lb/in * 0.17513 = N/mm

OK, let's work the conversion: 1kg/mm X 25.4mm/inch = 25.4 kg/inch X 2.2046lbs/kg = 55.997 lb/inch

So: kg/mm X 55.997 = pounds/inch

KSport sends over 5.2kg fronts and 4.4kg rears.

5.2kg/mm = 291 pounds/inch front.

4.4kg/mm = 246 pound/inch rear.

Those are pretty reasonable compared to what other folks run here with Konis and Ground Controls.

My CSVT is running 500/300, and I've tried 400/300, which is a little closer to the 1.25/1 F/R spring rate ratio that these cars seem to like to be reasonably balanced. Don't know what to tell the OP, except that now you have some numbers to start from. Maybe get a kidney belt? :laugh:

Are you running custom springs or eibachs? I think I saw that you rocked blue springs (assuming it was you and that eibachs are blue) it's been so long lol

Blue Hypercoil 2.5" springs and modified Koni struts. Most of the other pieces-parts I fabricated or bought from Coleman Racing. Eibach 2.5" race springs are usually Red.

That's right, they are red. I knew I've forgotten.

By the way, I messaged you a while ago about your custom top hats to run the 2.5" ID springs and be able to retain the front OEM style bearing. Did you ever get it?

OK, let's work the conversion: 1kg/mm X 25.4mm/inch = 25.4 kg/inch X 2.2046lbs/kg = 55.997 lb/inch

So: kg/mm X 55.997 = pounds/inch

5.2kg/mm = 291 pounds/inch front.

4.4kg/mm = 246 pound/inch rear.

Those are pretty reasonable compared to what other folks run here with Konis and Ground Controls.

My CSVT is running 500/300, and I've tried 400/300, which is a little closer to the 1.25/1 F/R spring rate ratio that these cars seem to like to be reasonably balanced. Don't know what to tell the OP, except that now you have some numbers to start from. Maybe get a kidney belt? :laugh:

I came up with the same conversion as you did, so thanks for some confirmation. My goal is about 20% softer. I am looking at the 2.5" conversion idea at this point, but I know my idea will work for sure - no custom anything, just plug and play - I'll update when I know more

Been busy with stereo mods, but finally done. At this point I've run out of budget for awhile, but I have done a bit more research. Yes, I could go with GC, potentially saving myself about $70 versus custom springs. Some of the other mods posted above are interesting as well. However, one thing I like about the custom spring approach is that I would have a simple plug-and-play mod with no hassles. I called GC and they wouldn't confirm that their kit would indeed work with my Ksport struts, plus they did not offer me the option of just buying parts of the kit. Edge assures me that if I push it with GC, they would come around and provide the needed parts, but for $70 savings I'm not sure it's worth it. More importantly, I like the idea of have two sets of springs in the end - the new custom softer ones for DD use plus the firmer ones that came with the kit. That way, if I ever do sell the car (doubtful) I can offer the buyer whatever ride control they desire. Or, perhaps, if I ever choose to race again, I could put the firmer springs back on.

Kaos I don't think so but don't know for sure. I sent 2 or 3 messages to their sales/tech rep about other things relating to adjustability and ride control.

I just made a deal on a V2 Vortech, so this mod is probably on the backburner for now. My main focus was on making sure it could be done and what it would cost and if anybody else wanted to get in on the deal for a group buy. Oddly, the KSports seem to have softened up a little as well, making this mod less important right now. I have no idea why. Once I have budget to go to 18" wheels, though, I will probably still get custom springs. I had a BAT setup with 18" and loved it.

I hate my springs with my ground control and will be replacing them with custom QA1 progressive springs in the the spring. My problem is I like the way they handle at speed, but driving slow in parking lots the car is way too boaty and floaty.

I hate my springs with my ground control and will be replacing them with custom QA1 progressive springs in the the spring. My problem is I like the way they handle at speed, but driving slow in parking lots the car is way too boaty and floaty.

Yes, I struggle with the handling vs ride conundrum too. My BAT setup was perfect as an all-round solution. At 120mph+ it was too loose to suit me, but the other 99.9% of the time it rode a bit better than my Ksports. Right now I'm on setting 36 (full soft) and the ride (as I stated above) has gotten better recently (reason unknown) but it's still too stiff for 18" wheels/tires (I'm on 17's right now). Plus, the ride feels oversprung and underdamped for obvious reasons. I plan on going about 12% to 15% softer with the custom springs; that way I should be able to dial the shocks a bit firmer and get the "perfect" BAT-like ride for DD use, then crank it up when I want to let her loose on a track or a deserted back road. I'm going to order the front spring 1" longer so I can get the car off the pavement (I've already done minor damage to my bumper cover). While I'm at it, I'll replace the top mount which is a bit worn. Best of both worlds. I'll settle for perfect. I'm having a blast with this car. Learning so much.

I'll be interested if you put this back on your priority list. My H&R's are too stiff for daily driving, and it seems the only option left would be BAT springs, which means more wheel gap than what I've got now, or coilovers. Unlikely to invest in coil overs after having just got my Konis last summer.

Back