• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

spare tire problem

Seafire XV

CEG'er
I recently had a front tire go flat, and when I tried to put the stock spare on, it wouldn't fit. Of course, I have a big brake conversion, the Nautilus performance kit. I have the 300mm Focus SVT rotors on front with the stock calipers. But I was wondering if the spare from a Focus SVT would fit? I have heard that it is bigger that the spare that comes with the standard Focus, but is it bigger that the Contour spare? I got around the problem by putting the rear wheel on the front and put the space saver wheel on the back. It would be nice, though, to not have to change two tires.

Not 100% positive if the Focus spare would fit, perhaps it would.

Also remember that if you get a flat on the front you really should be moving the rear tire forward and putting the spare on the back of the car.

(Not 100% positive if the Focus spare would fit, perhaps it would.)

I don't see why it wouldn't. The bolt patterns are the same, and I have Focus SVT rims on my car.

(Also remember that if you get a flat on the front you really should be moving the rear tire forward and putting the spare on the back of the car.)

Which of course is what I did. But yes, it does seem to be the correct procedure with a space-saver spare.

I do not recall anyone in the past trying a SVTF spare tire. Worth a shot if you could get one to test fit or get cheaply.

After doing some research I found out that the FSVT spare is different from all the others, Focus or Contour. First, its 17'" in diameter. It also has quite a bit of positive offset, all to help It clear the larger front brakes, and its a bit lighter that the other spares. Seems to be made of aluminum. I would like to get one and try it out, though due to the increased offset it may not fit properly in the spare wheel bay.

The spare tire well is pretty deep. I wouldn't think that increased off-set should really make a difference. If it does could always make a raised floor to fit it. Look at the MKIII Focus. The Titanium models with the handling package have a full size spare. The foam blocks around the tire are deeper to allow the floor to be flat in the truck/hatch.

Back