• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Engine rebuild

the hardline? leave it on...you can wiggle/shimmy the entire engine and tranny out of the bay easily. Just takes some times

Its hard line next to the exhaust manifold. So I should just disconnect the coolant lines on each end of it? I don't remember having to separate too many sections of the cooling system last time around. Maybe I just forgot!

Its hard line next to the exhaust manifold. So I should just disconnect the coolant lines on each end of it? I don't remember having to separate too many sections of the cooling system last time around. Maybe I just forgot!

yeah thats what i did, just pulled the rubber hose off each end and left the hardline on.

Engine is out and I have started a little disassembly. Next session I should be able to remove the heads and see whats going on.

My spec clutch had not blown up as I suspected. Disc was just completely work out. I don't know why the engagement was all over place but will be replacing with new LUK in anycase. Also replacing wear plate on the fidanza flywheel.

Finished removing the heads last night...
IMAG0269.jpg

IMAG0265.jpg

IMAG0268.jpg

The top land on the number 5 piston cracked off. Sleeve appears to be ok, with just some very light scoring. Will finish dis-assembly and take to a shop for clean up/honing in the coming weeks.

I'm not sure what would have caused this. Is detonation likely on a port matched 3L running 89 octane fuel? I suspect the tune I have runs pretty lean.

Anyway - now I can see what I've got I think I'm gonna be good to go with a rebuild.

The top land on the number 5 piston cracked off. Sleeve appears to be ok, with just some very light scoring. Will finish dis-assembly and take to a shop for clean up/honing in the coming weeks.

I'm not sure what would have caused this. Is detonation likely on a port matched 3L running 89 octane fuel? I suspect the tune I have runs pretty lean.

Anyway - now I can see what I've got I think I'm gonna be good to go with a rebuild.

Are you running a knock sensor on your block? If not, it could have been pinging/detonating with the low octane fuel. That could definately have caused it...which is why I always run 91

Are you running a knock sensor on your block? If not, it could have been pinging/detonating with the low octane fuel. That could definately have caused it...which is why I always run 91

Yes I have a knock sensor.
My understanding is that the 3l compression is only 10:1 and does not require premium gas. I'm not opposed to premium, but I'm not gonna use it if its not needed cause it doesnt make any difference.

Was your car tuned? Having a knock sensor would have prevented it from pinging/detonating running 87, unless the sensor is bad..

Yeah it was dyno tuned in California, but as I mentioned above, my gut feel is that the tune was on the lean side (but coolant temps were never crazy). I never heard any pinging (I listened for it because I was nervous about using regular gas). Is it possible that the SVT cams up the dynamic ratio some?

I ran this motor for about 20k miles. The previous 3L burned a piston after 5k miles, with the same tune (at the track mind you). I bought the car after the last motor blew and dropped the new one in. This is the 4th motor to go in the car (3rd 3L).

Yeah it was dyno tuned in California, but as I mentioned above, my gut feel is that the tune was on the lean side (but coolant temps were never crazy). I never heard any pinging (I listened for it because I was nervous about using regular gas). Is it possible that the SVT cams up the dynamic ratio some?

I ran this motor for about 20k miles. The previous 3L burned a piston after 5k miles, with the same tune (at the track mind you). I bought the car after the last motor blew and dropped the new one in. This is the 4th motor to go in the car (3rd 3L).

Sounds similar to me lol, my SVT is on its 3rd 3L motor as well. Did you ever think the tune could be way off living here as opposed to different elevations, sea level etc that it was tuned in while in Cali? My dad has a Kenne Bell 03 GT that toasted the motor due to that. Bought the car in virginia, tuned there from the previous owner. Drove it here for a month or two without getting a re-tune and it ended up killing the motor.

Sounds similar to me lol, my SVT is on its 3rd 3L motor as well. Did you ever think the tune could be way off living here as opposed to different elevations, sea level etc that it was tuned in while in Cali? My dad has a Kenne Bell 03 GT that toasted the motor due to that. Bought the car in virginia, tuned there from the previous owner. Drove it here for a month or two without getting a re-tune and it ended up killing the motor.

I don't think the location should be a big deal. Its not that different in elevation and cold weather should help with detonation.

Finished disassembly this morning. Will be taking it into a shop hopefully this week, but maybe next with my work schedule. They said they won't hone the cylinders until I have the pistons, so this will just be for them to check it out. Everything inside looked real clean and ran smooth so pretty happy with the condition of the internals.

Update: Took the block in for inspection

TK Race is going to do all the machining on the block. Took it in yesterday and talked through the build. First advice - go with a different platform. After we got through that he said it was definitely detonation. He said it has to be the tune, so I will be making some adjustments before firing up the new engine.

Build wise everything is starting to take shape. At this point

Machining:
Bore and hone cylinders 0.020" oversize
Hone crank journals for extra main bearing oiling
Deck the block/heads for even compression
balance rotating assembly
Modify oil pump to increase system pressure

New bits:
Ross racing pistons/rings
Cunningham or K1 rods
Clevite main/rod bearings
ARP studs
Ford head gaskets
Ford oil pump (new)

Still deciding whether to get new timing kit. I am not sure its worth it if I don't change the cam gears.

Update: Took the block in for inspection

TK Race is going to do all the machining on the block. Took it in yesterday and talked through the build. First advice - go with a different platform. After we got through that he said it was definitely detonation. He said it has to be the tune, so I will be making some adjustments before firing up the new engine.

Build wise everything is starting to take shape. At this point

Machining:
Bore and hone cylinders 0.020" oversize
Hone crank journals for extra main bearing oiling
Deck the block/heads for even compression
balance rotating assembly
Modify oil pump to increase system pressure

New bits:
Ross racing pistons/rings
Cunningham or K1 rods
Clevite main/rod bearings
ARP studs
Ford head gaskets
Ford oil pump (new)

Still deciding whether to get new timing kit. I am not sure its worth it if I don't change the cam gears.

Yeah, I suspected the tune was off here as i suggested, it just makes sense...good thing you figured it out for sure though. Timing should be fine as long as it all feels tight and good

Back