• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

yup

I think you cats deserve a little credit for dealing with that kind of extreme cold. It was 13 last night, and we consider that pretty brutal here in Massachusetts.

At -9 or -35 (horrors!), you could sure shave some time off the chilling of beers. Five minutes outside and they're ready to go. :cool:

I think you cats deserve a little credit for dealing with that kind of extreme cold. It was 13 last night, and we consider that pretty brutal here in Massachusetts.

At -9 or -35 (horrors!), you could sure shave some time off the chilling of beers. Five minutes outside and they're ready to go. :cool:

you really get used to it, especially if you have lived here your whole life. We normally get a week or so in Dec where lows are -30F and a week or two in Jan that hit -40F. Then every 10 years or so we get a really nice cold snap of -55. After that you start thinking that a high of 13 is warm.

And our town roads up here are constantly covered in salt/sand and ice. You almost never actually see the road itself from Nov-April in town. Highways are normally kept in good shape.

you really get used to it, especially if you have lived here your whole life. We normally get a week or so in Dec where lows are -30F and a week or two in Jan that hit -40F. Then every 10 years or so we get a really nice cold snap of -55. After that you start thinking that a high of 13 is warm.

I agree. With that last weekend even our current single digits are noticeably warmer :cool:

I'm okay with it being cold as long as it keeps snowing ;)

Oh and saturday I was working with a friend on his truck and we left the pops outside. Didn't take long and they were already slushy.

Last edited:

And our town roads up here are constantly covered in salt/sand and ice. You almost never actually see the road itself from Nov-April in town. Highways are normally kept in good shape.

you never get fully use to it. maybe i should stop looking for honeymoon trips in the carribian. i think my views are slanted right now :D

Hell - I drove with my windows down the other day - felt refreshing doing 80+ with a high in the negative digits. I needed some fresh air and the soothing overtones of a CAI'd Duratec screaming away. After a long cold snap - single digits do feel warm :crazy:

BTW,

i finished another illustration :D

superbeecopy.jpg

A Super Bee. Very nice. One of my favorite classic Mopars is the Coronet R/T. These two cars shared plenty of parts, including front ends through '69. The convertible, in rust metallic, is my favorite. Love that black tail stripe. Unfortunately, I couldn't find that exact combination. Here it is in white:

Doug.Hammer.jpg

Last edited:
Next do my favorite car. 1970 Buick GS Stage 1. :drool:

you do realize i probably have close to 15 hours of work into that illustration, right? :)

this one took a bit longer, becasue of all the chrome. each wheel took more time that the body did, along with the grill :eek:

ive never been a fan of chrome, in this or real life.

you do realize i probably have close to 15 hours of work into that illustration, right? :)

this one took a bit longer, becasue of all the chrome. each wheel took more time that the body did, along with the grill :eek:

ive never been a fan of chrome, in this or real life.

I'm not exactly out there on the cutting edge of technology. In point of fact, I'm going to pick up an IBM Selectric III correcting typewriter this evening. :laugh: The point of all this is that I'd like to know what programs you use, and what goes into doing a piece like that. Are you able to import basic structures to build a digital skeleton, or is it all electro-manual, with you hand-creating all shapes, contours, light and shadows?

I'm not exactly out there on the cutting edge of technology. In point of fact, I'm going to pick up an IBM Selectric III correcting typewriter this evening. :laugh: The point of all this is that I'd like to know what programs you use, and what goes into doing a piece like that. Are you able to import basic structures to build a digital skeleton, or is it all electro-manual, with you hand-creating all shapes, contours, light and shadows?

thi was done in photoshop. i start with a photograph as a template and "redraw" the entire vehicle. this one has about 15 layers built into it (ei: the body, grill, wheels, tires, ect). so yeah, i recreate it all freehand and ad the lighting and shadows into the illustration. Im going to do one in Illustrator sooner than later. that way it is all vector based. when doing it in illustrator though, you have to use a completely different mind set on how to get the shading/lighting effects. i photoshop I use the dodge/burn tool alot. in illustrator i would be using gradients mesh's to get the effects.

DSC_0002-1.jpg

Mmmm vector based :drool: :cool:

And I know that's at Car Craft Summer Nationals... I see your Fiero in the background!

and you can see the trunk to my brothers car, its blue :) and the truck in the background is a lightning, belonging to the big guy in the blue shirt! i miss summer :( car craft this year should eb fun! unfortunatly, it is the same weekend as the 25th anniversary show of the fiero out in MI, so i may be the only fiero at car craft. i guess i like to look at other cars than just fieros :)

slight upgrade I would say. I don't have a car worthy enough to go there. :cry:

Nah your SVT would be fine, you can park any where you want to if you're that worried about it (I wouldn't be). There are a lot of grassy areas off the main roads that people park in.

The only reason I drove the probe was because the SVT was out of commission and I had already pre-registered. This way I still got to drive around with the AC on and smuggle in my own cooler/grill! Besides it was like $40 for pre-registration and that included TWO wrist bands and I could get in any day with my own food and drinks. I think for just a wrist band they were close to $15 per person and I would've had to walk everywhere :crazy: :laugh:

I know Mike #49 and TRicker go every year too, we should have a CEG group there this year to represent ;)

Back