• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

yup

Sold the Fusion. :) Picked up a 05 Subaru Baja Sport. Slooooooooooooooooooow. It was too good of a deal to pass up. Even with 162000 on the clock, it still has a NADA value of $9500. I paid $3400. Had to do the rear brakes, a rear wheel bearing, tires, a good cleaning. And it does have an oil leak...might be the rear seal. Need to bring it it in to see what they can find. Ugly, but decent car. LOL.

Also sold the boat. Picked up a 99 Alumacraft Dominator 16.5 CS with a Honda 75 horse 4 stroke. :) It isn't as wide (6'4" beam vs 6'9") but the motor more than makes up for it...and it came with a Lowrance HDS 7.

Sounds like a decent little setup! Lets see some pictures! I don't care about the Baja, I wanna see the boat :p

I will have to take some pics of it. We both really like it. She can drive it and I don't feel like I am going to die. And not that we use it that much, but it also has an Infinity blue tooth radio if we just want to pull up to an island someplace and just lounge about. Took it up to Whiteface this past week. Caught a little walleye but a HUGE bluegill (trolling no less) and a 11" crappie. The bluegill was at least 1.5 lbs. Don't know why, but we didn't measure it either.

Took the boat out on Pelican this weekend. So much better than my last boat! With three people in it, I was able to hit 35 mph. In my last boat, I was lucky to hit 30 mph with just me in it. And the Lowrance HDS7 is a neat little piece of equipment. I was sitting there and there were all these "I"s on the map. So, I would go to them and hit enter. Someone added info about what type of bait to use and what time of year. I was also able to have a conversation while driving that fast. Where as before, I couldn't hear a thing with my old tiller.

Nice! 35 mph with 3 people is cruising. I can only hit about 31mph with 2 if the gas tank is mostly empty with two dry livewells and flat calm, 28-29 is more typical with 3 guys and gear. Can be a real pain to get out of the hole with both livewells, 3 guys, and 30+ gallons of gas though :laugh: That's with the 70hp 4 stroke tiller. The best part about the 4 strokes is how quiet they are when running wide open.

Mapping GPS opens up whole new worlds of potential for finding structure and staying on it, if you didn't have that before...

That is with a full live well (bait bucket with sucker minnows was in there), and about 20 gallons of gas as well. I really want to see what it can do with just me in it. I am hoping for like 38-39. Don't know if it is possible or not....maybe if I get it trimmed out just right and the wind is blowing in the right direction. I should get pics of it tonight, and get those posted. What boat are you running around in?

I was running a $90 hummingbird before....basically wanted something to tell me the water temp and how deep it was. And that was basically all that it did.:)

I am rocking my dad's Lund Pro V 1775 with 70hp Evinrude 4 stroke (basically a Suzuki). Have an Elite 7 HDI, which is the cheap version of the HDS7, doesn't have side imaging. I cannot imagine going from a $90 depth finder to an HDS7 :laugh: quite the upgrade!!!

Do I need the LSS-2 module to run that?
To run what? To use the map? No you should just have to hit the "pages" button if you have something like that. There are multiple views, I like 2D sonar and Chartplotter for my purposes, but if I had side imaging I would probably use that when looking for certain types of structure. Like rocks, gravel, weeds, etc. I don't use down imaging much, but if I am marking something on 2d I will flip it on once in a while to try and get a better picture of how big it might be.

I normally have the 2d sonar and charplotter as well. I have scrolled threw some of the different pages quick but haven't played around with it too much. I don't want to lose the current set up. :p One thing I wouldn't mind, is getting the hook ups for the motor to send all the info to it....once again, not sure if I can do that or not with my current set up.

And hey, look. One of my old cars. Guy is asking way too much, considering I bought it how many years ago for $3200. Granted it has a lot into it since then....but it was an underpowered 3.0L
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/cto/5208091116.html

I normally have the 2d sonar and charplotter as well. I have scrolled threw some of the different pages quick but haven't played around with it too much. I don't want to lose the current set up. :p One thing I wouldn't mind, is getting the hook ups for the motor to send all the info to it....once again, not sure if I can do that or not with my current set up.

And hey, look. One of my old cars. Guy is asking way too much, considering I bought it how many years ago for $3200. Granted it has a lot into it since then....but it was an underpowered 3.0L
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/cto/5208091116.html

wooo and that is near me too. Did I powder coat that valve cover and intake? Sure looks like the one I did a while back.

The guy who sold it to me, said "oh there aren't any check engine lights or anything...just the airbag light for the clock spring". Then when I drove two hours to meet him, he cleared all the codes. So on my way home, the light popped on. It wasn't blackstang but the guy he sold it to. And I am 100% sure it is the same car since the middle air vent is missing.

I'm working on my Cougar to get it ready for winter. I had to swap in some new fuel tank straps after my old ones rotted out. In order to do that I had to remove the exhaust. Turns out my Borla setup has seen better days. The passenger rear section sheared off from the resonator. See pictures here:

https://goo.gl/photos/8qnvvyBB3GcNxZcA9

I contacted Borla and they said the system has been discontinued for 12 years but they will look for the jigs they used to build the system. I found my original receipt from 2000 so they have to fix the system based on their 1 million mile warranty.
rofl.gif

I got a call from them and they found the jigs and are going to build me two brand new rear sections (so each side matches). They will send me new clamps and hangers. The guy said it will take 3 weeks.

I can't believe they warrantied that after 15 years. That's crazy... I paid $428 for this complete stainless steel exhaust back then. He said it would be well over $1k if they sold it today.

I'm working on my Cougar to get it ready for winter. I had to swap in some new fuel tank straps after my old ones rotted out. In order to do that I had to remove the exhaust. Turns out my Borla setup has seen better days. The passenger rear section sheared off from the resonator. See pictures here:

https://goo.gl/photos/8qnvvyBB3GcNxZcA9

I contacted Borla and they said the system has been discontinued for 12 years but they will look for the jigs they used to build the system. I found my original receipt from 2000 so they have to fix the system based on their 1 million mile warranty.
rofl.gif

I got a call from them and they found the jigs and are going to build me two brand new rear sections (so each side matches). They will send me new clamps and hangers. The guy said it will take 3 weeks.

I can't believe they warrantied that after 15 years. That's crazy... I paid $428 for this complete stainless steel exhaust back then. He said it would be well over $1k if they sold it today.

That is flipping awesome. Glad I have my original receipt!

Haha nice! Still looks like it's in good shape minus that resonator falling apart. I bought mine used so I guess I'll just have to fix it myself if I have issues with it someday ;)

Yup, the metal fatigued on that muffler and it cracked apart at the end. The other sections of the exhaust look perfect still so there must have been some defects on this one muffler.

If anyone has or plans to hit up a junk yard soon I'm looking for a front splash shield for my Cougar. I tossed mine a while back on accident. It's fairly large and is not the same as the Contour unfortunately... Hit me up and I'll toss you money for it.

So has anyone ever done any rust repair? I've been working on the Cougar fixing various items getting it ready for winter. This has included sanding off any rust and touching up some areas. The rust on the back two quarter panels was minor on the exterior sections so I sanded and painted it. Rattle cans worked ok for the tiny areas and after buffing the paint looks really good. I made my way to the front rockers and the passenger side front had some surface rust which came right off. Unfortunately the passenger side footwell was in bad shape. I ended up cutting out a 6" by 3" section of the flooring because a screw driver poked right through it... So now I need to fab up a patch panel and either weld it in or seam seal it and use some sheet metal screws to hold it in place.

The area that rusted is flimsy due to jack mark that pushed the floor up years back. I'm hoping the driver's side is fine. I guess as long as I get it all cut out and seal up the area it should last longer than I'll need it. This damn car only has about 75k miles on it. Stupid MN winters...

Here are the pictures: https://goo.gl/photos/YpzrQarsihvoyeMu5

I started fabbing up a patch plate. I zipped it down with a bunch of sheet metal screws and then removed it to paint it. I'll pick up some adhesive to seal it to the car.

Edit:
Well the passenger side is complete and looks great: https://goo.gl/photos/ynB2usNQon1QyNGx6

I started working on the driver's side and it's rotted out in the exact same spot. It's a bit worse but nothing I can't patch. Seems odd that it rotted in exactly the same spot. I wonder if this is common on the Cougar.

Back