• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Watkins Glen

GCR2

CEG'er
:help: There is a Chumpcar race I will be attending at Watkins Glen on May 23, 24 and 25. Chumpcar conducts endurance road races. We will be transporting our 1998.5 Contour SE from SC to NY for the race. The car technically has an SVT engine. I have a full replacement engine and tranny sitting in the garage but due to space limitations won't be able to bring it. I am looking to line up some local mechanical talent/resources just in case we have problems. The format for the races is 6 hours Fri, 8 hours Sat and another 6 hour race Sun. The benefit of this format vs a single 16 hour or 24 hour race is that if we have mechanical issues we have the night to work on repairs and then still go racing the next day. I've got drivers all lined up but our most mechanically inclined driver will not be coming with us. I'm the car owner and team captain, and can do some parts swapping, but I'm slow and really not that knowledgeable regarding diagnostic work. So I'm just reaching out to the community to collect some names and numbers of people who might be willing to help us in a catastrophic situation. Maybe you're good mechanically and can be on our call list, maybe you know a good mechanic in the area, maybe you know the best pull a part yard in the vicinity, maybe you've got a garage full of old spare Contour parts, maybe you know a friend with a garage or lift that could help, etc... We'll be a long way from home and hope the car runs perfect all weekend, but I'm a realist and expect something may go wrong and just like to have backup plans. Of course anyone is welcome to come out to the track and observe the race. (They'll get you for a few bucks at the gate) Heck you could even probably hang around the paddock with us. Feel free to post here or send a PM. Thanks.

2r3ce38.jpg

Attachments

• Rothmans Contour 1 6-2013.JPG
    Rothmans Contour 1 6-2013.JPG
    500.2 KB · Views: 0
Super cool:cool: I'm localish with mechanical talent:eek: however have to work Fri/ SAT:blackeye: But maybe I can find some time on Sunday:shrug:to at least watch

Thanks Royalblue. Appreciate your offer. Any and all help is welcome - even if it's just for a day of moral encouragement. I'll shoot you a PM.

Any one else potentially available - anyone???? Anyone with local knowledge? Closest parts store? Local garage contact? Best restaurant? Sites not to miss while we're in the area? Good local pub? Best regional micro brew?

Thanks Royalblue. Appreciate your offer. Any and all help is welcome - even if it's just for a day of moral encouragement. I'll shoot you a PM.

Any one else potentially available - anyone???? Anyone with local knowledge? Closest parts store? Local garage contact? Best restaurant? Sites not to miss while we're in the area? Good local pub? Best regional micro brew?
https://www.google.com/search?q=jer...ahoo:en-US:official&client=firefox&channel=sb

https://www.google.com/search?q=wat...ahoo:en-US:official&client=firefox&channel=sb

Yea, usually not too much activity in the regional sections so I don't check it too often. I'd love to go but we just finished pulling the motor out of my cougar today. Gotta finish cleaning that up and work on some renovations on our cottage. This year has been ridiculously busy for me.

You guys might want to check out two goats brewery. It's not too far and I hear it's a pretty cool place. I want to try it out this summer.

that's cool just trying to round up some locals that have been there .I don't drink but if I think about it I'll let them know .I texted them a while ago ,they said they where running well and in the top 20

how to find your way around WGI

how to find your way around WGI

DSCN0084_zps468ef0d7.jpg

just follow John he seems like a good guy and he has a map:cool::laugh:
DSCN0082_zps76a1b1b7.jpg

that's John :cool:
DSCN0079_zps0757c25e.jpg

that's John's car at speed entering " the boot "

DSCN0078_zpsb351b5ca.jpg

the other Contour in the race Sorry didn't get the name ?
DSCN0083_zpsaf1d1386.jpg

DSCN0086_zpsd43171a8.jpg

race engine
DSCN0085_zpsdac9ba15.jpg

inside a Contour race car :cool:

Thanks for coming out and supporting the team. Thankfully, we didn't have a single mechanical issue, The car ran strong all weekend and we were very pleased with our finishes. 95 cars took to the grid at the start of the event on Friday. We finished 32nd on Friday - not bad considering we stopped every hour for fuel and driver changes as we tested our fuel consumption rate and got all our drivers used to this new to us track. We got more aggressive with our driving and pitting strategy and finished 16th both Sat and Sun. Certainly had a lot of cars that were faster than us but as they say " to finish first, first you have to finish". We were still running at the end of each day when a number of faster cars had either crashed out or broken.

OK - finally got back to normal and catching up on things like posting pictures. Here's a few. Working on getting a little video footage together too where we're trying to stay up with the Crappy Contour team. Should get that posted in a few days.

2gwtfub.jpg

Track Entrance - Beautiful track - worth the 12 hour haul.

2q0r9q8.jpg

Group picture Sunday with Crappy Contour, royalblue, and Gotham City Racing

2d6t6k2.jpg

Crappy Contour team checking out Gotham City Racing and "The Conturd"

97vhty.jpg

Ready to go do battle - day 1

2cyqf6e.jpg

Out on track

51r249.jpg

Side by Side

14o3qkw.jpg

Through the boot

fa5vg6.jpg

Busy, busy, busy - 95 cars on track!

4hdthc.jpg

Crappy Contour team looking strong all weekend too.

2hqcxsh.jpg

Taking the checkered flag

You can read about our weekend as wella ssee more pictures at our website
www.gothamcityracing.net

Well I finally got around to playing with some of the in car video from the race. Found these couple of laps from Sun AM where both the Contours were running together for awhile. Cheap $19 Chinese camera with terrible audio - but you get the idea.

http://youtu.be/tTKvDGvpj5Y

10593047_10153302951956038_1023948061004029476_n.jpg?oh=9d6ba1f7cc397387fbb3a707d927bace&oe=5...jpeg
just saw these on Watkins Glens FaceBook page you guys score any ?

Back