• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Awaken Great SVTC People of the NW!

jackrabbit

New CEG'er
Hi there! I'd like to meet up with more Contour SVT owners/enthusiasts here in the NW. I live in Portland and am willing to drive or host. I see no fresh posts from our region, so here's a start. Please respond to this post, or e mail me at: bciamfree (at) g m a i l (dot) com. And here's a couple pix of my car, 'JackRabbit' for your entertainment. Thanks, Brian -

Attachments

• photo16833.jpg
    photo16833.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • photo16834.jpg
    photo16834.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I'm in the Tacoma/Puyallup area of WA. Don't know how many are in the area though.

Yeah, I see most of the posts in this section are 2015 or earlier. I'm hoping there's more enthusiasts that will come out of hibernation with summer coming on. Tacoma isn't far from Portland! Is your Contour your daily driver? What's it look like?

Mine is a 98 LX silver frost V6 model. So far it is stock, a DD. I've done a lot of neglected maintenance on it since when I bought it, it was not in that great of shape. Every gasket except timing cover and oil pan was replaced, intake cleaned, IMRC, brakes, rear brake cylinders, injectors, water pump, IMRC, tires, outer tie rods, plugs, wires, hoses, trans pan gasket, wiper motor and linkage assembly, radio, dash/interior lights, Trans, an auto was previously rebuilt, but I refreshed it. o2 sensors were causing cat codes to come up. Water injection cleaned the cats enough to wake them up.

When I got it, it ran, but ran rough. It needs paint though.

Mine is a 98 LX silver frost V6 model. So far it is stock, a DD. I've done a lot of neglected maintenance on it since when I bought it, it was not in that great of shape. Every gasket except timing cover and oil pan was replaced, intake cleaned, IMRC, brakes, rear brake cylinders, injectors, water pump, IMRC, tires, outer tie rods, plugs, wires, hoses, trans pan gasket, wiper motor and linkage assembly, radio, dash/interior lights, Trans, an auto was previously rebuilt, but I refreshed it. o2 sensors were causing cat codes to come up. Water injection cleaned the cats enough to wake them up. When I got it, it ran, but ran rough. It needs paint though.

I bought my black SVT with a transmission issue that has gotten a lot worse lately. It has always shown codes for lean front bank, both cats, and the dash coolant level light is on. The engine runs very strong, but I do drive it hard all the time, so who knows how long it will last. I read it's a really solid engine though. My paint needs work too. I plan on plasti-dipping my whole car as soon as I can afford the paint and get my air system put together. Man, it sounds like you've put a lot of work into your ride. Wow, you got your cats to come back online? Was that with a combo of water injection and fresh O2 sensors or just water alone?

I bought my black SVT with a transmission issue that has gotten a lot worse lately. It has always shown codes for lean front bank, both cats, and the dash coolant level light is on. The engine runs very strong, but I do drive it hard all the time, so who knows how long it will last. I read it's a really solid engine though. My paint needs work too. I plan on plasti-dipping my whole car as soon as I can afford the paint and get my air system put together. Man, it sounds like you've put a lot of work into your ride. Wow, you got your cats to come back online? Was that with a combo of water injection and fresh O2 sensors or just water alone?

It was the combo of water, Seafoam and the o2 sensors. You also have lean codes, which likely are a result of vacuum leaks from the intake manifold gaskets and the vacuum lines behind the engine. I would pull the U/LIM and swap the gaskets as well as the valve cover gaskets. The plastic vacuum lines by the EGR valve are always breaking. I replaced those with regular hoses. That should clear up the codes. If you ever get around Tacoma, let me know. I try to log in here often, but my email is guthriecolin@hotmail.com. I have the high end scanners, one a dealer equipped laptop and a handheld that has the upgraded software. I can easily tell you exactly why you are getting codes. That coolant light is because the coolant is too low, It needs to be above the sensor in the reservoir.

The sensor sucks in contours so alot of the times it just throws a code even tho coolant is fine. also, I just emailed both of you. Welcome to the PNW Contour scene. :)

The sensor sucks in contours so alot of the times it just throws a code even tho coolant is fine. also, I just emailed both of you. Welcome to the PNW Contour scene. :)

Actually, it needs to be at a higher level. It depends totally on the level of coolant in the tank.

Actually, it needs to be at a higher level. It depends totally on the level of coolant in the tank.

I've filled the coolant up pretty high before and it still gave me the dash light. Sometime, I'd like to check the wires just to make sure there's not a fault somewhere, but maybe the sensors really do just suck? That's great about getting your cats revived! I'll be trying that myself down the road when I have to face Portland's DEQ in about 1.5yrs. That would be cool to get a scan, I'll see if you'll be around next time I'm heading up that way. I'll likely goto the event Satya mentioned above, so maybe I'll cya there.

I've filled the coolant up pretty high before and it still gave me the dash light. Sometime, I'd like to check the wires just to make sure there's not a fault somewhere, but maybe the sensors really do just suck? That's great about getting your cats revived! I'll be trying that myself down the road when I have to face Portland's DEQ in about 1.5yrs. That would be cool to get a scan, I'll see if you'll be around next time I'm heading up that way. I'll likely goto the event Satya mentioned above, so maybe I'll cya there.

I'll be at the event Satya is setting up. I'll look at it there. I'll likely bring my handheld with me.

Official headcount:

1) Satya
2) Ivan
3) Brandon
4) Brad
5) Warren
6) Scott
7) Kevin
8) Rob
9) Shotwell
10) Bob
11) Tyree