• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Broken Jack Point Covers?

DDV

CEG'er
If you have a jack point cover with broken tabs, I might have a way to fix it.

Bugzuki: I'll swap you my prototype for that one I gave you. Paint it black, and you're set. It'll be a good test too.

I made a prototype of a fix for a jackpoint cover that had that two outside tabs broken. Since they are the weaker tabs, they're prone to breaking off, which causes the cover to fall off the car.

Another contributing factor to them falling off, is that they fill with water, road dirt (sand, etc.) and the tabs are not designed to hold that amount of weight, so they fall off. I habitually drill two drainage holes in each jackpoint cover to prevent the buildup of water or dirt.

I gave the prototype "fixed" cover to Bugzuki. I'm hoping it'll be a good test to see how my fix works. After that, I'll see what I can do to help out others who have covers with broken tabs.

Did the fit-check today and Bugzuki had to tweak it to fit right. But once it was on there, it was solid. I'll get it right on the next one. I'm thinking I can make a little repair kit with instructions. Should be inexpensive and it's easy to do.

More to come. . .

I made a prototype of a fix for a jackpoint cover that had that two outside tabs broken. Since they are the weaker tabs, they're prone to breaking off, which causes the cover to fall off the car.

Another contributing factor to them falling off, is that they fill with water, road dirt (sand, etc.) and the tabs are not designed to hold that amount of weight, so they fall off. I habitually drill two drainage holes in each jackpoint cover to prevent the buildup of water or dirt.

I gave the prototype "fixed" cover to Bugzuki. I'm hoping it'll be a good test to see how my fix works. After that, I'll see what I can do to help out others who have covers with broken tabs.

Did the fit-check today and Bugzuki had to tweak it to fit right. But once it was on there, it was solid. I'll get it right on the next one. I'm thinking I can make a little repair kit with instructions. Should be inexpensive and it's easy to do.

More to come. . .

VERY interested!

Keep us posted..

-Nick

Sorry I haven't posted on this in awhile.

I got the second prototype made and it fit better. Now that I have the measurements I need, I need a broken jack point cover to refine the fit.

Bugzuki has one, but can't find it. Anybody else local have one? (One where the outside-facing tabs are broken.)

A repair kit is my goal.

Sorry I haven't posted on this in awhile.

I got the second prototype made and it fit better. Now that I have the measurements I need, I need a broken jack point cover to refine the fit.

Bugzuki has one, but can't find it. Anybody else local have one? (One where the outside-facing tabs are broken.)

A repair kit is my goal.

I think I have one or 2, I'll look tonight and PM you!

-Nick

Sorry I have not looked very hard for it. I will try and clean up in there. I have to make room for all the Squareback parts I will be taking off.

Back