• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Autocross FAQ/Newbie Guide

I know in SCCA club racing you can be disqualified and loose points if you are caught cheating in a post race inspection. I'm assuming the same or similar can happen in Solo II.

At most autocross events, their not going to check your class and then try to see if your car is within the rules of it. Obvious things like 19 inch wheels will get noticed. Unless your beating really fast drivers at high level events, just try to pick the class that you think you belong in. Chances are, since your driving a contour, your not going to be competitive in whatever class your in. Don't worry about beating as many people that can. Just have fun. The contour is a fun car to drive at an autocross. I've beaten many faster cars in raw time. Unfortunatly my car is in one of the mod classes, so my pax times aren't that fast. I don't care though. It's a lot of fun to drive fast.

Agreed. As long as a Mini Cooper is in GStock the Contour cant be competitive in that class. I'm still mad they havent bumped it out of there yet.

Can you provide details on the equipment and setup of this car? I just watched the vid in your sig too, and saw the exterior shot in another thread. Need more info!!! :help:

Hey SS where do you live? If it's close enough I'd love to come and discuss this racing with you. Looked like a lot of fun.

Can you send me what's in the car too?

thanks
Ray

I haven't heard back from him...:(
It's unfortunate that the few people who actually have something substantial to contribute in the area of motorsport with this car aren't very involved in the forum.

Hey SS where do you live? If it's close enough I'd love to come and discuss this racing with you. Looked like a lot of fun.

Can you send me what's in the car too?

thanks
Ray
Hey Ray I live in Miami-Fl
Sorry I do not have enough time to spend in the forums, I owe you guys (you & rollingstyle) the information that you requested me.
Our next race will be at Homestead Miami Speedway on December 19th & 20th, everybody is invited to join us at our garage to see what's in the car in person or even better you can become a part of our team for that day.
Here you have a nice video clip proffesionally made for one of our friends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfppfjKJrw

Hey Ray I live in Miami-Fl
Sorry I do not have enough time to spend in the forums, I owe you guys (you & rollingstyle) the information that you requested me.
Our next race will be at Homestead Miami Speedway on December 19th & 20th, everybody is invited to join us at our garage to see what's in the car in person or even better you can become a part of our team for that day.
Here you have a nice video clip proffesionally made for one of our friends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfppfjKJrw

Hey, if it's not too much to ask, can you also send me what's in the car? I'd really appreciate it. Oh yea, awesome car man!

Is this list still accurate? Thinking of turning my SVT into a dedicated AutoX car. As it sits right now, I have headers, y-pipe (with HF cat), BAT suspension, air intake, wheels & stock width tires.

In the 2013 SCCA rulebook, Headers are listed as Street Touring legal, however am I missing something? On our cars, do headers take you out of STX?

The other thing is that the Contour isn't listed in the cars for any Street Touring class, but the SVT appears specifically in DSP. Again, I'm new to this so I may not be understanding the rule book. Ultimately this is for fun and I'm not trying to build the best STX or DSP car, just trying to find out where my car actually sits.

the street touring classes got changed up last year a bit and there is a proposal to change stock classes up to make them more like the old ST classes. if im remembering right you would be in STS. you could run in STX if you want. ultimately the tour/cougar is heavy for just about every class, so depending on your region it will vary where you will be competitive. I run in SMF, a class dominated by 89 civics and minis that are much lighter

Thanks! I think you're right, I would be in STS as I sit unless I put wider tires to bump me to STX.
No, you cannot run STS. That is a class for 2-seat cars. At the prep you described and with no LSD, you should be running STC or STF, but you could do STX as well. There are way too many classes in SCCA Solo these days, and it's only getting worse! This thread is way out-of-date and should be un-stickied or updated. Refer to the SCCA official rule manual for latest classing, as it changes nearly every year.

Our cars are STC and SMC cars I just went through this people in my region were complaining about me bein in STF because I was kicking there a$$ so bad I'm still kicking there a$$ in STC. STF is for newer cars with small engines mazda 2's, 3's, Hondas non vtack ;), Pontiac vibe, Toyota matrix ect.

As for STX that class is for small engine turbo cars like mazdaspeed 3's, Volkswagen jetta GLI's stuff that will beat our cars realatively easy without having a crap ton of suspension work. I'm barly able to keep up with those cars.

Back