• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Chumpcar at Road Atlanta

GCR2

CEG'er
Here's a couple laps from this past weekends Chumpcar race at Road Atlanta. It was just my brother and me so we only did the sprint races on Friday. Smaller field for the sprints - about 35 cars total. The Enduro on Sat. had over 100. Lot's of great racing. Our class was 2.5L to 4.0L engines. Needless to say - we were outgunned. Still had a great time. I just try to find a car with similar speed to race against and don't worry too much about all those faster cars.

Last edited:
Nice man - did he pass you back on the next lap? Looked like he had a lot more go down the straight.

Nice man - did he pass you back on the next lap? Looked like he had a lot more go down the straight.

No - he did a few more laps behind me and then went into the pits. BMW E36 vs 2.5 Contour . No contest really. That car was tons faster overall. Just a new driver still trying to feel his way around the track. The downhill after the bridge really scared him and was where I could make up bunches of time.

My second stint I spent 35 minutes chasing down a Porsche 944. We were really well matched but I was ever so slowly catching him. I miscalculated my fuel consumption and wound up with an empty tank with 2 laps to go. That driver came over afterwards and said what a blast it was to be dicing it up.

One of the things I like about Chumpcar is the variety of cars. There are lots of cars much faster than mine out there, but if I can find a couple cars with similar speeds I can spend 2 hours racing my butt off and having a blast.

Sort of stock. The car was originally just a 2.5 SE model. Over the past couple years it's been converted to an SVT engine. But yeah - still just the 2.5.

right. hard to tell, but 2.5 svt was what i meant. id like to see what happens with the 3.0 against the e36. was that a 318 or a 325? their gearing is a bit different than ours. and the vanos on the timing.

Back