• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

700bhp 3.0L V6

andygtt

New CEG'er
Not a myth although I am running the engine in a differenet car.

Firstly spec as had a brief read through here and there are a few facts that are not entirely correct.

Engine is basically a modified Ford Escape unit.
Inlet manifold both lower and upper are STOCK
valves are stock size.
Heads are mildly flowed
Mild cam regrind by mountune
Crank is stock
Coils are stock
New rods and Pistons.
Oils quitters to spray piston underside fitted
Large BW turbo
Big wing sump
Redline 8000rpm
Running 1.4bar ( makes 480bhp on 0.6bar)
Reliable for 3 years at 700bhp ran at over 600bhp for over 5 years.
Car weighs 1030 kgs and is does 0-150mph in 9 seconds.

The 3L unit it these cars is an awesome bit of kit when charged even when relatively stock... And I am not running NoS.

Take a look at the power band if you think these engines need massive valves and ported intakes etc to rev and make a good spread of power!

EE89BE7C-AE3A-4CC4-9E07-0E5D56635B5D-434-000000284B4A4BDE_zpse2838776.jpg

HOLY F!!!!!!

that's all I can say.

That kind of power on a STOCK block/heads/crank.... WOW!! Just WOW! awesome job..

Now find a way to shove it into a tour and get it to hook up!!

So, what kind of car is this in?

Noble M12.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noble_M12

Andy, you are to be commended for keeping that engine together at that HP level, especially with a wet sump. Nice work. Custom oil pan with wings and a trap door sump I presume?

The video you linked in the other thread of Silverstone is simply stunning, the rate at which other cars disappear in the rear view just makes this old man giggly.

Some of the 3.0L engines built State-side have issues keeping pistons and con rods together at half your HP level, can you share some more info about pistons and rods?

The pistons are cosworth items, but I have run JE before to over 600bhp, most people run JE... the rods are Arrow items.

There are lots of these engine running stock ford pistons and Arrow rods 1.5mm shorter with stock heads and cams and making 450+bhp for thousands of miles. The 'secret' is having oil squirters for the underside of the pistons.

My sump is big wing, baffled and has trap doors... car can make 2g in the corners without any oil pressure issues.

So, what kind of car is this in?

Noble m12, its a UK sports car that used the 2.5 and 3L ford engines, they fitted a set of shorter con rods, machined oil squirters in the block and bolted a pair of turbos to the side and made 310bhp in the 2.5L and 352bhp in the 3L.
Of cause one major difference is that they used a different ecu, which i changed to a Motec.
Engines are very reliable and have proven easily tunable to 500bhp... gets a bit expensive after that, although totally worth it :)

Andy, do you have an up-rated oil pump? I imagine the turbo, and oil squirters are a significant "leak" to the oiling system. I've been working with Joey at NPG lately to build a brand new turbo kit (not one of his "off the shelf" kits) for my SVT. Joey has mentioned to me that he has a new high flow oil pump available (I have no flow numbers, yet), and I'm wondering if it is necessary, or a good precaution. I may have oil squirters added to my 3.0, so I'm leaning toward the high flow pump.

I found this thread with our own CSVT#49 asking a similar question. I'm wondering if anything has changed since then. http://www.nobleforums.com/showthread.php?7587-Oil-Pump-Upgrade&s=513ae6973fbd57de61b444650887b5

I run the stock ford pump, no issues at all with oil pressure.... your engine won't last long if you turbo it without oil squirters.
The 'secret' to retaining good oil pressure on idea with squirters and an oil cooled turbo has been adding in valved squirters rather than just inserting a small open squirter... my oil pressure does not go below 30psi even on idle... I run a motec ecu and log it so have very accurate data on it.

I also run a front mounted oil cooler that has a 8 meter hose run, so if i don't get oil pressure issues I don't think others will if they fit the correct squirters (worth mentioning the stock Noble squirters are not valved hence some noble owners suffer lower oil pressure on idle).

Im actually planning to develop a separate spray bar so I don't have to drill the block for the squirters... only reason is that drilling the block does add a potential weakness that might be a restriction on me going for more power.

I am however interested in hearing details of his new high flow oil pump.

Hi Andy , i'm finally going to start putting together my AJ 3.0 (Jag) and have been following your progress for a while with interest and congratultions on the numbers your getting.
The build will have
Je pistons
k1 rods
mild ported heads
Arp head studs
65lb bosch injectors
sheet alli plenum with internal 50mm bellmouths
65mm throttle body
run from a emerald ecu
and force fed from a Holset hx52

Now i have read your comments about the importance of oil squirters for keeping an engine alive and this has got me thinking whether or not i need to install some. This engine is going to be occasionally road used and only used in anger over the quarter mile a few times a year . what would your thoughts on this be ?

Cheer's Barry

sorry for slow reply, not been on here for a while.

I would 100% NOT run forced induction without oil squirters... Im very interested in actually doing an external bar like a cosworth YB or BMW S85 M5 instead of machining the block as I have done (and all nobles), Ive not started any planning or development of it yet though.

Im just putting the finishing touches on my ITB's and plenum.

33DAE364-B350-4C03-92DA-43EDA956D645_zpseurelrho.jpg

F22F1103-03EA-46A3-9D46-A5EAF4B97404_zpsn35usz3r.jpg

Cheers Andy will be fitting some then, where did you get your valved squirters from and did you drill the block you self ?. i have access to drills and mill's ect.

Interesting link there... see he accredits the clutch design to someone else when in fact he copied mine, he bought everything that i told him with the exception of the plates and had endless issues with fitment as a result.

Regaling oil squirters, don't be put off by what is says on his site. There isn't loads of noble blocks cracking, just a handful who ran over 600bhp and raced them... the larger ones are a weak point when your over 5-600bhp only.

Im thinking about designing a spray bar at some stage simply so i don't have to machine the block at all and saves considerable cost and time.

Back