• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I don't feel like looking in the wheel/tire section.

Pen_Two

Is not easliy amused.
What the hell is a good fairly inexpensive tire for the winter?

I left work early tonight because of the storm, so my 20 minute ride turned into 80 minutes. I have the stock E1's TGO gave me with the car, so I don't need steelies. Also, should I just buy two winter tires (front) and two all seasons (back)?

And thank god for the LSD...I may have crawled up some hills with the wheels spinning, but without it...I'd have been stuck.

Buy four, ever had your back end break loose while driving on snow? Take it from me, it's a bad experience all around.

Buy four, ever had your back end break loose while driving on snow? Take it from me, it's a bad experience all around.

Well, bad only if you're not expecting it. :D

I would check out tirerack and edgeracing.com. Discounttiredirect should have some decent stuff. I kinda like Tirerack for checking out new stuff because they offer up consumer reviews. Any dedicated WINTER tire is going to be heads above an all season. Feel free to try something, you most likely won't be surprised. Remember they'll probably get you two or three seasons if you go dedicated winter only tires.
Good luck!
(My personal vote is for Blizzaks on dedicated steelies, they can be had cheap enough through Tirerack for the set.)

last year i got snow tires at walmart for $65 a pop. i think they where call snowtakers. had almost truck tread on them went great. plus you don't have to wait to get them..

Like John said , ANY dedicated snow tire will get you through te weather better than ANY all-season . Blizzaks are a top-notch dedicated snow/ice tire , but are by far not the cheapest (I love mine on my SVT) .
There was a thread about this stuff very recently in this forum - hell - you even posted a pic of Paul's car up a tree in the thread ! Look through there for a couple choices - my low-cost/quality snow/ice tire is the Dunlop Graspic . Way less $$ than the Blizzak , with very similar results (if not the same) - WAY more grip than an all season . They work kick-arse on my Jettas :cool: .

Look through there for a couple choices - my low-cost/quality snow/ice tire is the Dunlop Graspic . Way less $$ than the Blizzak , with very similar results (if not the same) - WAY more grip than an all season . .

this is what I have on my car and they worked great this morning ...

Like John said , ANY dedicated snow tire will get you through te weather better than ANY all-season . Blizzaks are a top-notch dedicated snow/ice tire , but are by far not the cheapest (I love mine on my SVT) .
There was a thread about this stuff very recently in this forum - hell - you even posted a pic of Paul's car up a tree in the thread ! Look through there for a couple choices - my low-cost/quality snow/ice tire is the Dunlop Graspic . Way less $$ than the Blizzak , with very similar results (if not the same) - WAY more grip than an all season . They work kick-arse on my Jettas :cool: .

HERE'S THE THREAD I was talking about ... started by you , whoring your new ride .

Look through there for a couple choices - my low-cost/quality snow/ice tire is the Dunlop Graspic . Way less $$ than the Blizzak , with very similar results (if not the same) - WAY more grip than an all season . They work kick-arse on my Jettas :cool: .

this is what I have on my car and they worked great this morning ...

Steph has the Dunlop Graspics too.

Also, check www.Mavistire.com They have some good prices and will price match.

Want my used Blizzaks? heh, come out to me and get them unmounted from my winter E1s and they are yours. Some bargain, huh? :crazy:

Lol, why don't I just give you my E1's with some worn and dead tires on them for your E1's with tires already mounted and call it even? :laugh:

The details of my adventure:

OMG, the roads are terrible! I couldn't even keep the car straight. I thought for sure I was going to have to abandon my car and walk back home. :help:
I managed to keep her moving and decided that I was only going around the block, went through two stop signs (with good visibility) just to keep the car going.
Finally got back to my driveway and wasn't sure I was going to make it back into the garage. :shocked:
Now the SVT is going to stay where she is, in the garage safe and sound.

Stay home if you can!!!

At this point I don't think I could fairly compare.
I had my Conti's on once in some similar weather and did about the same, sliding, etc. There is a nice layer of sleet over the snow. This crap is not something I would normally drive in.
I'd like a good snow, plain snow, to compare the two since that is what I have driven in the most with the Conti's.

Steph is going out soon to try her's out. She just has two inches of snow up there.

I can't speak for the snows Paul reccomended (I'd imagine they are) , but the Blizzaks & Graspics are studless ice/snow tires , which really helps . Super soft & work pretty well , but bad weather is bad weather :( . Good to hear you made it home OK .

Tell Steph to take it easy out there & that they're not performance tires ;) .

Back