+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What's the easiest way to test a coil pack?

Graham, TX: a place so nice, they rob your house twice! & Houma, LA

Question What's the easiest way to test a coil pack?

Like the title says, I need the easiest way. Damn car still won't start.
    See, you think I give a . Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking, "How can I give less of a ?" That's why I look interested.
    I know there's a god, because every once in a while someone whispers in my ear, "You're my favorite!"

Autozone link to test coil pack.
    http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d801bc402.jsp

Check if there is power to the PCM by turning on the ignition to on, the CEL should come on for a few seconds. If it doesn't, there is no power going to the PCM. Also check ignition and main power fuses in the Power Distribution Box next the the battery.

Make sure the connectors are in tight for the ignition coil, Camshaft Position Sensor and Crankshaft Position Sensor.
    Last edited by Tony2005; 10-18-2006 at 10:51 PM. Reason: additional troubleshooting tips.

If you end up needing a coil pack, shoot me a pm. MSD or stock.
    2011 Hyundai Accent
    Sold: 98.5 SVT-187whp
    96 ATX Zetec-Scrapped after 2 wrecks
    FS: $100 off $200 or more SPEC purchase

Yes!! Thanks for that link Tony!! You da' man!
    See, you think I give a . Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking, "How can I give less of a ?" That's why I look interested.
    I know there's a god, because every once in a while someone whispers in my ear, "You're my favorite!"

Ok. I tested the primary winding and it came back within the norm at .7 ohms. When I tried testing the secondary winding, the readout stayed at the default 1.0. I'm thinking there was something wrong with how I tested it, or the multi-meter, because even if the pack is bad, I SHOULD still be getting SOME reading besides 1.0, correct??

if its bad the resistance will be either extremly high or even open.
    TZT Performance http://www.tztperformance.com/
    officially a troll. '93 3000GT VR4 #2229/2595

'00 Black SVTC #391 - sold 5/1/10
    '97 GL Turbo Zetec - gone

Went back out and re-tested the secondary winding. Had the switch on the wrong setting, and wasn't making good contact. Anyway, the coil pack is good. Secondary tested at 12.85 and 12.9.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony2005 View Post
    Check if there is power to the PCM by turning on the ignition to on, the CEL should come on for a few seconds. If it doesn't, there is no power going to the PCM. Also check ignition and main power fuses in the Power Distribution Box next the the battery.

Make sure the connectors are in tight for the ignition coil, Camshaft Position Sensor and Crankshaft Position Sensor.
    PCM is getting power, all fuses are good in the distribution block(s). Do you happen to have a diagram that shows where the camshaft position sensor and the crankshaft position sensor are?

+ Reply to Thread