+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Truck or car cheaper to insure?

Default Truck or car cheaper to insure?

I live in the country and fell in love last summer going off-road in my uncle's Land Rover (I guess I'm one of the few people who still use them for such purposes, huh? He sure doesn't), and I want to pick up a 4x4, mid- to late-'90s V6 pickup truck (Chevy S10 or Ranger), as my uncle just about kicked my ass for the stunt (I missed a few corn stalks in the cow catcher before I got back).

I'm thinking of it as my daily driver (not married/no kids, so space isn't an issue w/ and extended cab). Generally, what's cheaper to insure, a car like mine or a truck?

Also, what would you think as a better engine in a Ranger (I'm not going rock crawling or the Baja 1000, just through the woods, but I'll add a winch just in case), the 3L or 4L? any particular years I should shy away from?

Thanks,
    --Bob
    PTan 98.5 Mystique LS... 2.5L, ATX, fully loaded.
    WTB: Tan SVT or Pre98 SE seat (leather only)

Quote Originally Posted by bobbo View Post
    I live in the country and fell in love last summer going off-road in my uncle's Land Rover (I guess I'm one of the few people who still use them for such purposes, huh? He sure doesn't), and I want to pick up a 4x4, mid- to late-'90s V6 pickup truck (Chevy S10 or Ranger), as my uncle just about kicked my ass for the stunt (I missed a few corn stalks in the cow catcher before I got back).

I'm thinking of it as my daily driver (not married/no kids, so space isn't an issue w/ and extended cab). Generally, what's cheaper to insure, a car like mine or a truck?

Also, what would you think as a better engine in a Ranger (I'm not going rock crawling or the Baja 1000, just through the woods, but I'll add a winch just in case), the 3L or 4L? any particular years I should shy away from?

Thanks,
    --Bob
    I don't know for sure on the insurance front. They do well in collisions, insurance companies should like that. I can provide insight on your powertrain question though.

Both are fine mills. The 3.0L is a Vulcan, a pushrod, 12-valve V6 sourced from the Taurus and Sable. While it gives up little horsepower to the 4.0L, it gives up quite a bit of torque.

The 4.0L is an evolution of the Cologne 2.8L, going back to the early 1980s. More famous than the 2.8L was the 2.9L, used very widely in the Ford Ranger and it's platform stablemate, the Bronco II, during the 1980s. Like the engines before it that put V6 power in a small truck on the map, the 4.0 is a durable, solid mill.

My experience has been that the 4.0L only surrenders about 1 MPG or so to the smaller 3.0L six, so there's little reason not to opt for it.

If I were looking for a Ranger, I'd ferret out one from 1983 to 1988 with a 2.9L V6. I much prefer the look and feel of that era Ranger, though the ones since then are hard to argue with. Great trucks, all.
    2000 Tropic Green Contour SVT
    1994 Opal Frost Taurus SHO -- SOLD!

"Have you ever seen a spleen that large?"
    "No -- no -- not since breakfast."

The single two most important things insurance companies consider are your age and driving record. All else considered, I own a 97 Dodge Ram 1500 and my 98 Contour with a good insurance company. Coverage being about equal, and with a superb no-accident record, the car is about half as much as the truck to insure because it's got less potential to do damage, less expensive to repair, and less expensive to replace.
    1998 Contour GL 2.0L Daily Driver
    1998 Contour SE 2.0L Gave to daughter.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory...lasts forever....

Thanks. I'm familiar with the Vulcan (every car I've ever had but one '99 Taurus SES had a Vulcan), and they seem to be pretty indestructible if you maintain them properly. What's the reliability on a 4.0 like, everyone?
    PTan 98.5 Mystique LS... 2.5L, ATX, fully loaded.
    WTB: Tan SVT or Pre98 SE seat (leather only)

I beleive a driver in a pickup truck is statistically significally much more likely to be killed or seriously injured in an accident, than the driver of a four door sedan.
    98 SE Sport, 6 cylinder - 5 speed in FU Green
    ST200 rims, SVT exhaust, SVT Gauge cluster
    Seats, trunk lid & spoiler from '96 SE
    Knauberized and de-badged
    48K miles

My dad has a 99 Dakota 5.2 V8 2wd ext cab. It has been very reliable, only oil changes/tires and a small sensor on the rear end ($35) have been put into it as far as maintenance goes. We had it equipped with every heavy duty option so it tows our boat (5700-6000lbs) with no trouble at all. Not sure about insurance. I would assume the larger engine would raise rates. I have always had good experiences with Dodge trucks.

BTW I love Mopars so kinda biased
    2013 Dodge Dart 1.4T/6mt
    Viper powered project with father
    99SE traded in 04/13

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion8 View Post
    The single two most important things insurance companies consider are your age and driving record. All else considered, I own a 97 Dodge Ram 1500 and my 98 Contour with a good insurance company. Coverage being about equal, and with a superb no-accident record, the car is about half as much as the truck to insure because it's got less potential to do damage, less expensive to repair, and less expensive to replace.
    I won't argue for the given scenario, but don't discount the fact that cars are typically profiled for "average" issues. My '88 CRX (back in '92-'95) cost me a lot to insure relatively. It's a 2-seeat, 2-door, sport-ish car. My '00 CSVT is running me more than my '03 Super Duty by $15/6 month. Keep in mind that the truck has a value 4 times that of the car and a solid front collision could easily cost $4-6K. But it's a utility vehicle, not a favorite go-fast for 18-20 year olds. My advice...use your insurance agent for what they do. Give them 2-3 examples of what you're looking for in a truck and let them quote you for each one.
    '00 T-Red CSVT #1451 of 2150
    '03 F250 6.0 PS
    '01 GSF1200s 140 RWHP

Quote Originally Posted by bobbo View Post
    Thanks. I'm familiar with the Vulcan (every car I've ever had but one '99 Taurus SES had a Vulcan), and they seem to be pretty indestructible if you maintain them properly. What's the reliability on a 4.0 like, everyone?
    It's the same mill that's powered the Explorer since 1991. There are tons of older Explorers on the road -- a good running testament to that engine's durability.
    2000 Tropic Green Contour SVT
    1994 Opal Frost Taurus SHO -- SOLD!

"Have you ever seen a spleen that large?"
    "No -- no -- not since breakfast."

+ Reply to Thread