• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Please Help Horn is not working

realness1978

CEG'er
Hi,

My horn is not working. I checked the two fuses that are under the hood that the manual listed as pertaining to the horn. One fuse is a 20amp which is used for the horn and the hazard lights. This fuse was good I pulled it out and checked. The hazard lights are also working fine. The other fuse is a relay which is a 12v. I switched the horn relay with one of the high beam relays which is also a 12v. The high beams worked but the horn still did not work.

Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this?
Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

I did not check cruise control. I will check that when i get out of work and let you know.

Thanks.

i forget but they might also have a common fuse in the interior fuse panel

the other thing you can do is get a test light and test that the switch provides a ground when the horn is pressed

also have you check the horns themselves to see if anything is wrong?

I think you'll find that it is a Blown fuse if anything, please check your interior panel or even better check your manual and find out which fuse it is, and check that fuse and all the fuses around it and replace it with the correct one, that should fix the problem, especially if this happend all of a sudden.

If cruise control works, then check the connectors for the horn itself. Remove, clean, then put back in. If it is corroded, that usually helps. If not, hot wire the horn to the battery and see if it works.

I think your car came with one horn from the factory and I'm guessing that there is something wrong with the horn itself.

As someone else mentioned check to see if you are getting power to the horn with either a test light or a voltmeter. It is a two person job, one to push on the horn pad and one to look at the light or voltmeter.

Sometimes horns go bad from water intrusion and rotating how it is mounted may help. Sometimes a horn will respont to an adjustment. If it is so equipped, there is an adjustment screw and turning it may restore operation.

If the horn is bad, consider a pair of Freeway Blasters.

Seeing where you live the horn may be corroded or a little gummed up. I lived in W. PA for 30 years and had a few horns go bad or needed adjusting. Sometimes all they need is a clunk from a crowbar. Use a test light in a dim garage and testing will be a one man job. If you decide to get help be sure to stuff a rag in the horn when you are under the car. Can you hear the relay in the box next to the battery clicking? It is one of the brown ones. Same kind they use to power the fuel system. I swapped it once when my relay went bad years ago. Got the car running.

If you have keyless entry it is a one man job, just hit the panic button and the horn relay should kick in.

Hi,

My horn is not working. I checked the two fuses that are under the hood that the manual listed as pertaining to the horn. One fuse is a 20amp which is used for the horn and the hazard lights. This fuse was good I pulled it out and checked. The hazard lights are also working fine. The other fuse is a relay which is a 12v. I switched the horn relay with one of the high beam relays which is also a 12v. The high beams worked but the horn still did not work.

Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this?
Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

My horn just stopped working too , I tried to get the a$$holes attention who cut me off , but my p.o.s. wouldn't work . horn dosen't work with panic button either . My horn stoped working about 2 years ago for a month , and just sudenly started working again . I HATE FORD ELECTRICAL DESIGNERS

For what it's worth, the Ford horn is supplied by the same company that makes horns for most all the automakers. FIAAM (or something close to that). Most any car can have the same failure.

does cruise control work? if not then there is a bad connetion in the clock spring

This is not necessarily the case. When I first bought my 98 SE, The horn did not work at all. The cruise control worked while I was test driving, but it quit working after I bought it (how convenient). With some input from my dad, we agreed that this was most likely due to a bad clock spring.

After looking closer, we found that pressing the horn button on the steering wheel did indeed provide power to the horn connection. Also, there was a loose connection on top of the engine causing the cruise control problem. After snapping this back into place, the cruise worked fine.

I replaced the horn, and the new one worked fine. I don't recommend taking apart the steering column. Check the horn connection first to see that it is getting the proper amount of power when the horn is pressed.

hi got this 99 ford contour se and when i go it the horn worked but then it stoped i check the fuse's am relays under the hood an under the dask and nothin is blown an when i hit the horn i dnt hear nothin not even a clciking sound from the relay so i was wondering if im gona need to replace the horn or is it a wire ???? please let me kno thanks

i no ken reed yur writn........................so no hlp yu i ken not

Back