• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Deer damage

FavoriteMystaque

Hard-core CEG'er
I have comprehensive but no collision (called "other than collision" coverage by Amica), on my Mystique. What a noise the impact made, oddly I did not feel it, no airbags went off either, thankfully, so damage is confined to the car. The contract book indicates damage caused by "animal contact" is covered. The claims website implies that is part of collision. Anybody ever claim deer damage successfully under comprehensive, with any insurance company?

well this isn't going to be complete helpful but when my father hit a deer Amica did pay for the repair but he also had fully coverage on the car at the time

I found out they will cover it, now to see if they will fix it. Adjuster will come. Blue book retail is about $4000, they should fix it unless they base the value on wholesale..I will have to inquire about that website's wording, once I know the fate of my car.

Damage list

Damage list

LF fender squashed, LF headlight smashed, hood corner bent down, hood pushed back. Thin crossframe (radiator support) in front pushed back about 2 inches. Plastic grille support broken, A/C core punctured, was OK before. LF door slightly pushed back (1/4 inch), door OK. No pictures yet. Wheel alignment seems OK, bumper OK.

hmm, I'd say your looking somewhere in the 1-2 thousand dollar range,(parts + labor) which means they probably won't total it. Depends on how bad the damage from the door is (pictures might help)

Also odds are the plastic bracketing for the headlights is broken, so that whole piece that runs the length of the front will need to be replaced (assuming thats the same on the later models)

Last edited:
i hit a deer a few years back, insurance covered it no problem. replaced headlight and door skins and painted the whole pass side of the car, trunk and hood. the deer fur was still in the gas door during the estimation

You guys have a deer problem down there or what. Never known many people to smuck a deer in the middle of summer

Yes, "down here" in NYState! I had been noticing many dead deer lately along my commute, even since my incident.

the deer fur was still in the gas door during the estimation
I think there is a couple strands left...

Last edited:
I have to be damned careful going home at night regardless of what time of year it is. The deer here in the Southern Tier are all over the roads on foggy nights.

One of the guys I work with hit a deer recently, he only had comprehensive, and the ins. co. covered it without batting an eye.

OK guys have you not heard about those little deer warning devices that attach to the vehicle and generate a sound that deer hear. They keep them away from your car as you drive. They come in pairs and cost from $1 to $20 if like to throw away money.

Here is the deal THEY WORK and if you live in an area where dear are prone to run out in front of vehicles then you ought to have a pair on everything you drive.

My 2 cents

PS: you can take them off or cover them during hunting trips so you can sneak up on those pesky critters :laugh:

Possibly Totaled, anyone ever buy it back?

Possibly Totaled, anyone ever buy it back?

I think it may be totaled. I couldn't get the exact "numbers" from the estimator. He had databases of parts prices right in his Dell laptop. I imagine the ACV (Actual Cash Value) is not really based on retail. And there is a need to straighten the corner structure a bit. I figured out Retail prices of new OEM parts=$1500, for me from teamfordparts.com. I am sure it would be possible for the shop to locate used sheetmetal parts to knock back the totals to reasonable level. How does buying back the vehicle from insurance co. work?

Back