• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Fuse 5 keeps blowing.

over_30k

CEG'er
Couple of weeks ago my alternator developed a bearing noise. It was charging fine just noisy. Yesterday I put in a new alternator and after a all was checked started the engine. Charging light came on shortly after I reved it up. Checked fuse 5 and found it blown. Checked fog lamp wiring and all looked good. Replaced fuse 5 but it blew the minute i put it in, engine was not running. HELP!

Fuse 5 in my info goes to the alt and the foglamp relay.

I say maybe the new alt regulator, or you got a short to ground. You could unplug the three pin connector from the alt and see if the fuse opens up. If it still goes open then you know you have a wire shorting to ground.

the littel red wire on the alt that gose under the big black battery cabel thats held on with a 10 mm nut .well are u shure u hookt that wire up ?
did u look at it cause i seen atleast 4 connys where that thin red wire was crackt about 2 inches away from the terminal and it would hit the alternator and blow fuses

Just an update. It turned out to be regulator, failed after 5 min of work . He did not have the original motorcraft regulator and replaced it with aftermarket one. Unit is in the shop now, he's sourcing original motorcraft regulator.

Now, is it me or not all contours had second wire going on the top of main pos. terminal on the alternator? My 95 has 2 wire, main and a small one, SVT doesn't. I looked all arround but could not find it, I thought I did not hook it up.:help:

Back