• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

EGR delete?

Anyone deleted the EGR system on a SVT Contour? I have a 2001 Ford Lightning and many of us have deleted our EGR system to keep the carbon out of our intake.. the only negative is a negligible difference in engine temp and gas mileage (my lightning engine only ran 8 degrees warmer at cruise and less than 1mpg difference).. just seein if its been done..

Also i forgot to mention.. it keeps intake temps significantly lower without it..

I have not done it, and i don't recommended anyone doing it. It creates no gain in any way.

If you want a cooler intake temp try to install some phenolic spacers.

1mpg difference. It would be a more of a loss if you actually put the pedal down. Cons over pros its not worth it. It was designed for a reason.

Last edited:
right.. there's an option on the Diablosport predator to turn off the EGR.. not sure about programming for the cegs.. but yes it was designed for one reason and one reason only.. emissions.. the rise in engine temp isn't a concern.. and your a/f is very slightly effected at cruising which can be corrected by tune. The EGR valve is closed at WOT so there is no effect then. The pro's outweight the cons on my application. I know.. i've been running a deleted EGR system for 2 years on the lightning. Just was seeing if anyone has done it on a CEG.

Last edited:
in the UK everybody removes it on a v6 24v cosworth engine its worth 4-5 bhp plus your not heating up the air charge temp and throwing exhaust crap into the inlets its a no brainer ????

its worth 4-5 bhp

100% False. As was stated before, EGT is shut off at wide open throttle, so it has ZERO effect on peak engine power.

EGR is implemented by the OEMs for two primary reasons.

1. Decrease combustion chamber temperatures. This results in lower NOx emissions, and helps them meet federal emissions requirements.

2. Increase fuel economy during cruise by displacing some of the incoming ambient air with "nuetral" gas that has little oxygen.

EGR is deleted by people on thier own cars for a couple of reasons

1. Because they have no clue how it works and want to delete the "emissions crap" to make more power. This reason is really dumb because it is not based in fact.

2. To decrease the amount of carbon buildup in the intake. Varies from engine to engine how much this will actually help.

3. To decrease complexity on a highly modifed engine setup with a custom tune. This is common when forced induction has been added, or other reasons where the engine calibration has required significant changes by someone other than the original manufacturer.

So, weigh your situation against the above, and the fact that deleting your EGR makes your car technically no longer emissions legal in any state, and make up your own mind whether it is worth it in your particular case.

100% False. As was stated before, EGT is shut off at wide open throttle, so it has ZERO effect on peak engine power.

EGR is implemented by the OEMs for two primary reasons.

1. Decrease combustion chamber temperatures. This results in lower NOx emissions, and helps them meet federal emissions requirements.

2. Increase fuel economy during cruise by displacing some of the incoming ambient air with "nuetral" gas that has little oxygen.

EGR is deleted by people on thier own cars for a couple of reasons

1. Because they have no clue how it works and want to delete the "emissions crap" to make more power. This reason is really dumb because it is not based in fact.

2. To decrease the amount of carbon buildup in the intake. Varies from engine to engine how much this will actually help.

3. To decrease complexity on a highly modifed engine setup with a custom tune. This is common when forced induction has been added, or other reasons where the engine calibration has required significant changes by someone other than the original manufacturer.

So, weigh your situation against the above, and the fact that deleting your EGR makes your car technically no longer emissions legal in any state, and make up your own mind whether it is worth it in your particular case.

Agreed but also add: EGR reduces octane requirement.

Many engines will have preignition at part throttle when EGR stops, reprogramming will retard spark. Mixture is not affected since EGR comes in after the MAF.

Agreed but also add: EGR reduces octane requirement.

Many engines will have preignition at part throttle when EGR stops, reprogramming will retard spark. Mixture is not affected since EGR comes in after the MAF.

That's a really bassackwards way to look at it. Octane requirement is defined by peak load, peak power calibration, not by EGR use. The introduction of EGR at part throttle displaces oxygen in the cylinder, and reduces chamber temps, allowing the OEM calibrator to alter the part throttle timing and fuel maps to improve fuel economy and specific power output. If you remove EGR, and don't also change the part throttle timing and fuel delivery, then you will end up with preignition. Mixture IS affected by EGR, because the more EGR is pumped in, the less air flows through the MAF, and based on the reduced flow and oxygen content, the EEC sprays less fuel, so the mixture is affected, though the targeted a/f ratio may remain the same.

Back