• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

PCM | TSS | Harsh Shift

Myrosia

CEG'er
Ford Contour L4-122 2.0L DOHC SFI.
Manufactured: 10/98
130.000 miles

I took the car to the dealer for the 1-2 bang shift and leaky TSS. Thought it was the TSS although, the tech said that the PCM had to be reprogrammed and the TSS was fine and he would repair the leak. cost = $190.00

Other issues:

1. The tech said 3 mounts are bad. Front, back, and tranny mount and it would cost $700.00 to replace.

Is this a reasonable price or is this an easy driveway DIY?

2. The original tranny fluid is in the tranny. I use to hear that if you have never changed the tranny fluid and you are at 100.000 miles, then never change it because it could cause future damage and tranny failure? cost = $125.00

Is this true or not?

Thanks

....1. The tech said 3 mounts are bad. Front, back, and tranny mount and it would cost $700.00 to replace.

Is this a reasonable price or is this an easy driveway DIY?

2. The original tranny fluid is in the tranny. I use to hear that if you have never changed the tranny fluid and you are at 100.000 miles, then never change it because it could cause future damage and tranny failure? cost = $125.00

Is this true or not?

Thanks
1. Yes, it is a reasonable price. Parts itself will run you $150. It is a doable driveway DIY but not easy.
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=4977&highlight=tranny+mount

2. Change the fluid but don't flush it. Do our 3x drain and refill.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...992476&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1

Last edited:
1. Yes, it is a reasonable price. Parts itself will run you $150. It is a doable driveway DIY but not easy.

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...992476&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1

Since the car is still at the dealer, should I just let them change the fluid? Should I ask them not to flush it but drain it?

Why not flush it?

Since the car is still at the dealer, should I just let them change the fluid? Should I ask them not to flush it but drain it?

Why not flush it?
The reason why most suggest not to flush the tranny if it has not been done in a long while is because sometimes the force of the fluid causes some of the crud to come out and hence, you may end up getting small leaks at the gaskets.

Ford dealers will do drain and fill too. They may not want to do it 3x or they will charge you 3x.

The reason why most suggest not to flush the tranny if it has not been done in a long while is because sometimes the force of the fluid causes some of the crud to come out and hence, you may end up getting small leaks at the gaskets.

Ford dealers will do drain and fill too. They may not want to do it 3x or they will charge you 3x.

Tony, thanks for the response.

The PCM had to be reprogrammed and the TSS leak repaired. Although, I rode the car today and it still seemed to shift the same but without the *harsh bang* from 1-2. Before I brought it to the dealer, the harsh shift was intermittent anyways and usually noticed it more when the weather warmed up and driving a while longer too.

I asked the service manager that I read the TSS should be replaced with that white one I read about in this site. He said that there were no codes indicating the TSS was bad and that the reprogram of the PCM should correct it. I said I think it will happen again, because of what I read.

1. Is this right? Should I ask them replace the original TSS with the updated one?

I decided to have them replace the 2 tranny mounts.

I've been waiting to replace my struts. He quoted me $690.00 to replace them all.

2. Should I have the dealer install the OEM struts? Reason I ask is, I don't want to be putting struts on that will give me a *hard(er)* drive. I want the ride to be as smooth and comfortable as possible.

3. Do the OEM struts give the same type of ride as the Monroe's?

Last edited:
"The PCM had to be reprogrammed and the TSS leak repaired. Although, I rode the car today and it still seemed to shift the same but without the *harsh bang* from 1-2. Before I brought it to the dealer, the harsh shift was intermittent anyways and usually noticed it more when the weather warmed up and driving a while longer too."

Your TSS issue could have been because the Tss was loose (and hence the leak). If you don't have a metal TSS now, I would not worry about changing it unless you get the bang 1-2 shift again.

Good idea on replacing the engine mounts.

"I've been waiting to replace my struts. He quoted me $690.00 to replace them all.

2. Should I have the dealer install the OEM struts? Reason I ask is, I don't want to be putting struts on that will give me a *hard(er)* drive. I want the ride to be as smooth and comfortable as possible. "

Yes, OEM struts and springs are the way to go. Cheaper than the upgraded ones and you don't really need stiffer springs unless you plan to do racing during the weekends. The original springs and struts were stiff enough to begin with.

Hi.

My car is still at the dealer. This has become a big problem...

They changed only 2 tranny mounts. All was good until I went to pick it up last Monday.

I asked them to show me the mounts...so they put the car a hoist...then I saw that the tranny had fluid leaking...the leak was wiped witha rag and it came back.

It appears the tech broke the tranny housing and they were denying it.

Now they said they would repair the tranny housing....it's been a week last Friday and I called them and they said we are not done with it....

The service guy said he wanted to offer me to put in a used tranny in my car for $300. I said no and said to put a new part. He said that they had to *find* a used tranny to rapair the housing on my tranny and that is was "re-done" tranny and it's a good deal for $300.

I already paid $200 for fixing the hard shift.

Why should I pay for something I didn't go in for and was the dealers faught?

When I went there on Saturday to pick up the car rental (which they finally offered to pay for after 2 weeks without a car), I aked to see my car. I saw that they started on the car. I then asked this guy...where is the new tranny and saw it by my car...it was from a junk yard with egg corns and crap on it. Now I want to go on Monday and talk to the service guy who tried to mislead me...

My question is. What rights do I have on this issue?

Ford parts are to be quality parts..right?

Shouldn't they replace it with a "new" part and not junk yard crap?

What about the warranty? Maybe the housing breaking caused some other issue in the tranny now..and they will be liable anyways. Wouldn't it make sense for them to just rebuild my tranny since they have to take it out anyways.?

I really want to tell them to hold everything and I will call the corporate office.

What should I do and say tomorrow?

Thanks

130.000 miles

Last edited:
wot to do

wot to do

Honey gets alot more flies than vinegar

Your car has 130 k miles and these transmissions weren't that robust to begin with.

Let them install the used transmission for nothing and request a reasonable warrenty, say another 20 k miles. That is if they are so certain that the used trans will go that far.

What you end up with is a 20 k mile warrenty, even better than a rebuilt transmission for nothing. Well that is if you can get the job done for nothing.

Start out whining a bit, then get a bit frustrated, then very politely request to talk with the supervisor, continue working your way up, politely until you get what you need. Usually much easier at the local level. Remember you have plenty of time to talk to the regional people later.

Good Luck

...Why should I pay for something I didn't go in for and was the dealers faught?

When I went there on Saturday to pick up the car rental (which they finally offered to pay for after 2 weeks without a car), I aked to see my car. I saw that they started on the car. I then asked this guy...where is the new tranny and saw it by my car...it was from a junk yard with egg corns and crap on it. Now I want to go on Monday and talk to the service guy who tried to mislead me...

My question is. What rights do I have on this issue?

Ford parts are to be quality parts..right?

Shouldn't they replace it with a "new" part and not junk yard crap?

What about the warranty? Maybe the housing breaking caused some other issue in the tranny now..and they will be liable anyways. Wouldn't it make sense for them to just rebuild my tranny since they have to take it out anyways.?

I really want to tell them to hold everything and I will call the corporate office.

What should I do and say tomorrow?

Thanks

130.000 miles
If they are just changing the housing, then take it and run. They probably cracked the housing while changing the tranny mounts. I think, the most they are liable is for the value of the car and I doubt a 1999 130K mile Contour I-4 is worth the price of a new tranny. They will not replace it with a brand new transmission. If all they did was crack the housing, that should not mess up the tranny. You did say it was leaking fluid to begin with.

If they are just changing the housing, then take it and run. They probably cracked the housing while changing the tranny mounts. I think, the most they are liable is for the value of the car and I doubt a 1999 130K mile Contour I-4 is worth the price of a new tranny. They will not replace it with a brand new transmission. If all they did was crack the housing, that should not mess up the tranny. You did say it was leaking fluid to begin with.

It appears they decided to install the used tranny for nothing. I just hope there are no issues with this one.

Last edited:
If your tranny was fine and they are not putting in a remanufactured tranny, then insist of them changing the housing (without cost). I would not take a junk yard tranny (and have to pay $300 for it) when I don't know the condition.

There is no way that I would let them put a junk tranny in my car when they were the ones that broke the housing. While that is exactly what they may want to do (saves them some money), I have a hunch that if you push back nicely and ask to talk to supervisors and such, you should be able to get them to swap out the housing with a quality one (remanufactured or whatnot) for free. They broke it, they should fix it.

Good luck. If you can't get satisfaction, pursue corporate.

As long as they are in good condition, there is nothing wrong with using junk yard transmissions. I don't know why some call them POS parts and such when in most cases, they are the best value you can get. Most junk yards don't want to sell you crap, then they'll loose you as a customer for life. Just make sure to ask the basic questions about the car that the parts come off, like: mileage, age, have they tested the part and what were the results/pressure numbers, etc.

If you can, go and see the car that the part came out of, do it. This way you may be able to verify the mileage and the condition of the car. What you want to see is a car that was in an accident. This way you know that it was drivable when it got totalled and stay away from the ones that look intact. You don't know what made them end up in the junkyard. You can use parts off those cars too as long as the parts can be easily checked.

Back