• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Interior help

95_Mystique

Hard-core CEG'er
i want to get rid of the green lights on the inside of the car such as the A/C congrols, power window and door lock switches and door handle lights, but how do i get rid of the green? i want to go blue with everything....

Do some searching. I know there have been many discussions about this.

IIRC, you have to gently sand a layer of paint off (the green) so the new LED's can show through.

you mean so they look like this?

100_0195.jpg

101_0134.jpg

100_0198.jpg

100_0199.jpg

100_0201.jpg

100_0202.jpg

101_0135.jpg

BTW there was no sanding involved.

well im not sure how your going to get the orange needles cause the bulbs that light the gauge faces are the same ones that light the needles.

are they very wide angle? i haven't seen behind my tour cluster, but i do work with led's a lot, and from what i've seen of previous car clusters, even light like that would be very difficult to accomplish with anything but the widest angle and very bright led's. but, you're right, if you have bright enough lights, they will shine through mostly with their color, even through a tinted cover.

yes they are a VERY wide angle.

this is what they look like:
24_ss_b_wm.jpg

they are about the 6th bulb down on this page. you do have to take the "tails" and make it so that there is only one on each side of the base. otherwise you get contact on both "tails" on both sides.

nice, internal resistors, me likey. definitely gonna grab a few red ones for myself. you remember how many you needed stryker? mine's also a 97. with zetec.

[edit] i could really use one of these behind my clock, too!!

it takes 5 for the gauges plus whatever indicator lights you want to change. i dont know what bulb to use for the clock though.

ill get you pics crispy if you really need them. the tails come out of the bulb on opposite sides of the base and then wrap under the base. this puts parts of both tails on both sides. what you need to do is bend the tails back around so that there is only one tail on each side of the base.

If your still confused i will get you some pics

I'd appreciate any sort of pic so I know what to wrap and how...

The lame stock green lighting is super dim... if your driving at dark you can barely see crap... (unless there are several lights burned out in 2 out of the 3 SVT's I own?)

I wonder what the white ones would look like as I dont care about changing the color as much as just being able to see decently.

thanks in advance. :)

SICK!!!! I gotcha on the tails... makes sense.... so 5 for the dash guages... How many for the HVAC pannel?

Also.... will this work in a 98 mystique?

Last edited:
the HVAC panel i had to solder in custom LEDs with resistors so i dont know what bulbs they take but there are 2 of them in the display. you will have to pull your display out and measure the bulbs to get the right ones.

it should work just fine on a mystique as the clusters are the same.

Ok i have pictures but my internet connection at the house is really slow (not dial-up but still slow). i will upload the pictures at work tomorrow and should have them posted fairly quickly.

Back