• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Wire Harness cracking?

Beans

Addicted CEG'er
I understand that there is a recall for the wiring harness for the '98 SVT's, looking at mine, i found a exposed wire.. next to it a small crack in the wire next to it.

What are my options? Can i repair it? Is it toast?

This is the ONLY spot i can see that has issues, everything else looks brand new.

wireharness005.jpg

wireharness004.jpg

sorry about the crappy focus. it's the best its going to get.

Buy a new harness. seeing that not all wires are exposed for you to see. How can you say it's only in that one spot.

Just buy a new one.

call bill j i ordered one from him a while back for my silver car. only other thing you can do is pull out the entire harness and go thru it one by one replacing/taping wires carefully so you dont cross any and then looming it back up like stock. i had to go thru this under the fuse box in the engine bay on my black car a few weeks ago

I know their is a liquid type substance you can use to coat them. It has been posted here before.

If at all possible I would recommend replacing the harness. The harness that came from the donor car when I did my 4 banger to duratec swap was badly damaged in the sense of failing insulation on many wires. The main wires that failed on my harness were the cooling fan power wires and the positive wires from the battery to the fuse box. I repaired/replaced most of them and it was a true PIA!!!!! to do. There is a product that I buy from walmart called plasti dip liquid electrical tape. If your wires arent that bad you can use it, it acts like a coating for the wire and works great. If you have several feet of bad wires i'd replace the harness.

Its more like a 1/8th of a inch, and its only on the fuel injector harness, so I'll give that coating stuff a try, thanks.

I know their is a liquid type substance you can use to coat them. It has been posted here before.
Liquid Electrical Tape. About $10 from Home Depot. You just "paint" it on. I have it on my positive terminal cable (about 2 years now).

The last time I spoke with Bill J. about any wiring harnesses, this was around Jan this year, there were no harnesses left in the Ford inventory. Now, if Ford has seen fit to produce more, that would be nice. Expect to pay alot depending on the type of motor and accesories that you have.

The liquid electrical tape will work as well as seperating the harness, cleaning everything and individually wrapping each wire and replacing it in the harness.

seperating the harness, cleaning everything and individually wrapping each wire and replacing it in the harness.

This is what needs to be done. I would recommend you do this now before you install it and go threw the mess of trying to figure out why your new installed 3 won't run or having issues while running.

Thanks for the tip Todd, i picked some of that liquid electrical tape stuff and some wire loom.
wireharness012.jpg

And began the repair.

First i tore back more of where i knew the problom was, sure enough there was more exposed wire. :blackeye:
wireharness007.jpg

wireharness006.jpg

I did quite a few generous coats of the LET, letting it sit 10+ mins in between each ...FYI, this stuff is messy like woah, and it has quite a oder, so if your going to attempt this do it out side, i think i burnt a couple brain cells.

wireharness008.jpg

That's after a coat. I'm pretty happy for how that stuff works, i got most of the harness put back together, but i need some bigger loom to cover up some more spots, I'll post pictures when its all done.

Maybe ill learn how to use my camera by then :blackeye:

Yah, i am too, i can only imagine the chaos it would cause, if i was trying to figure out why something isn't working correctly.

The last time I spoke with Bill J. about any wiring harnesses, this was around Jan this year, there were no harnesses left in the Ford inventory. Now, if Ford has seen fit to produce more, that would be nice. Expect to pay alot depending on the type of motor and accesories that you have.

The liquid electrical tape will work as well as seperating the harness, cleaning everything and individually wrapping each wire and replacing it in the harness.

FYI I purchased a 98 SVT that had this wiring issue. Mine was much more severe though. All the coating on the larger postive wires in the engine bay had completely crumbled off. The injector harness had almost no coating left on any wire. A few days ago I purchased the last wiring harness in the country so for anyone looking don't expect to find a new one if you call and ask. This one was at some Vintage Auto Parts place in WI. My dealer was able to get it to me for $280 which I'm happy to pay vs. recoating every wire in the harness.

Back