• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

2 quarts in on a drain and fill @ garage

Desiato

Hard-core CEG'er
I had the (99) SVT drained and filled with Royal Purple Synchromax last week. They said that it took only 2 quarts before it was spilling out. I challenged them on that, and they told me they were 100% certain and double-checked. I would look myself, but we haven't had great weather.

Even though it appears to be shifting well, does anyone think I should be concerned? One thought that I've had is perhaps its tranny is what was used in 2000 Contours which I've read has a lower fluid capacity.

2 Quarts could be right. I slightly jacked up the front of my SVT to get an extra 1/4 Quart just to feel comfortable about it. I wouldn't be too worried.

When I replaced my MTX fluid a few weeks ago with RP Synchromax, it took all of 2 quarts and 3/4 of another before it was spilling out, so I'd double check for myself if I were you. Of course, this was on a Cougar, but I don't think that there is any diffrence between a Cougar MTX-75 and a Countour MTX-75.
Nathan

When I replaced my MTX fluid a few weeks ago with RP Synchromax, it took all of 2 quarts and 3/4 of another before it was spilling out, so I'd double check for myself if I were you. Of course, this was on a Cougar, but I don't think that there is any diffrence between a Cougar MTX-75 and a Countour MTX-75.
Nathan

No, same tranny, just depends on the year and even the individual trans for the amount it will take. I would double check it though, but I wouldn't fret over it! :)

Reebs

Is it possible that you have a later trans? I don't remember the date of the change but it seems like it was early in the 00 model production.

The early trans takes 2.7 quarts and the late trans takes 2.2 quarts.

for all you guys that changed the fluid yourself were is the fill plug, my haynes manual wasnt very specific, and just for a good record were is the drain plug.? thx i bought 3qts of RP and have yet to put it in due to a hesitation, but i guess everybody has sucess with it right?

Back