• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3.0 Type R

contourspd98

Veteran CEG'er
013.jpg

Just got the new engine in yesterday and started to tear into it tonight.

'05 Taurus with 61k- got for $400 at LKQ

Old and busted 2.5L

-Sludge anyone

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

Now the 3L
-No pics of the full engine but heres what I got

005.jpg

The cam wear is minimal. Looks as if the engine is barely broke in and has been taken care of.
006.jpg

007.jpg

009.jpg

Water jacket looks like it never had water in it. Its that clean...
011.jpg

014.jpg

Soon to come, 3L parts fs...

So... Did you not change your oil in the 2.5? :shrug:

I never got to drive the car. It was down for the count when I bought it... Bent valves. :(

From what I was told from the guy who owned it before me was, that he didnt even get to drive it cause the engine was blown. He had it for 1-2yrs..

Ah ok. New engine looks good. Good luck with the swap! I'm knee deep in a 3L too.

You can see pics of my stock 2.5 in my thread in Capital CEG. It had 150k miles on it and looks brand new yet.

Ah ok. New engine looks good. Good luck with the swap! I'm knee deep in a 3L too.

You can see pics of my stock 2.5 in my thread in Capital CEG. It had 150k miles on it and looks brand new yet.

Sad thing is, from what I was told, is that this 2.5 was from a 2000 and they timed it wrong or something like that... I think it was the original engine, which the odo reads 89k...

So thats not soo good to have with this low of miles.

somone over heated the engine and cooked the oil.. that is how that happens just returned a 05 escape 3L with 65k looked worse......

Sludge yikes! I have some autorx running in my car right now just in case there is a little bit of that going on even though the car had M1 since the first oil change. I also spy a Fram oil filter on a Ford for some reason? :)

Sludge yikes! I have some autorx running in my car right now just in case there is a little bit of that going on even though the car had M1 since the first oil change. I also spy a Fram oil filter on a Ford for some reason? :)

Framm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad! Motocraft gooooooooood!

Thats just what it came with... I didnt do it, I swear... :D

Just out of curiosity why does everyone hate fram filters? I have always used motorcraft or ac delco filters on my cars, so I have no expirience using them. I've seen fram hatred on both boards I frequent.

Just out of curiosity why does everyone hate fram filters? I have always used motorcraft or ac delco filters on my cars, so I have no expirience using them. I've seen fram hatred on both boards I frequent.

Mainly its because their basic filters are made cheaply but then sold for more than other better filters. Instead of using all metal internals they use cardboard caps and tie it together with a string. Compare that to a $3.50 Motorcraft filter (made by Purolator) that is all metal, has a silicone drain back valve and has the better bypass valve.

Now are they bad filters? Probably not since millions of them are out on the road right now and very few of them will have problems. But when you're changing your own oil you might as well use a great filter at a great price.

Back