• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

none of the headlights turn on!!

trhlz1222

Veteran CEG'er
well i got the radio problem fixed but now another problem arises. the headlights wont turn on. fog lamps turn on, and the parking lights turn on. low beams and high beams dont even when you use the flash button. all fuses are fine. all relays are fine. all bulbs are fine. i put leds in my cluster a long time ago and one blew so i switch it with another one in the cluster that is never used and since i did that they wont turn on. i switched my blown turn signal one with the one for the high beam symbol. after that i turned the lights on to see if the leds worked and they didnt but the lights did and then went out. i put the leds back in their normal position and checked all fuses and relays and still nothing.

I'm sure you've checked this, but they are all plugged in correct?

Last edited:
.. i put leds in my cluster a long time ago and one blew so i switch it with another one in the cluster that is never used and since i did that they wont turn on. ...
Remove that and see if the headlamps come back on again.

I'm sure you've checked this, but they are all plugged in correct?

yes i check that

can i remove the whole cluster and see if they turn on or does the cluster have to be plugged in?? and if i replaced the green circuit board in the back would that fix it?? or does that stuff have nothing to do with the headlights working because this morning in noticed that the normal signal light that works on the cluster does not, the check engine warning light doesnt work, but the foglight indicator works and so does the ebrake. and the regular HVAC, and speedo, fuel, tac, and temp gauge lights up.

There is no relation between the headlights and LEDs in the gauge cluster. LED problem, plugged in and working, unplugged completely; the headlights are unaffected. The problem is coming from something else.

ok i hooked up a meter to the low beams at the connector where they plug to the bulb and its getting 1.2w of power. as for the high beams i tested them and got 0 when the highbeam switch is on. im guessing the lights take 12w so its gotta be a wiring problem i think. is it possible that the green circuit board in the back of the cluster has anything to do with it??? all the wiring around the headlight switch seems fine especially if the parking lamps and foglights turn on.

I would start checking all power and ground connections. They are 12V bulbs and will need approx 12v, give or take 1 or 2. I had the same problem with lights on my trailer, turned out to be a grounding issue.

where could i start. i have no idea about wiring and i have a alarm system and its all wired in under the dash and i have no idea what is what or anything like taht.

could it be a problem with my alarm system???? had it installed a year ago by a fellow ceger and never gave me a problem but the guys at autozone feel that it could have shorted out or something and caused the headlights to stop working.

Back