• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Huge Problem

trhlz1222

Veteran CEG'er
well i was cleaning the uim and lim today. went to put the lim back on and the torque wrench never clicked. next thing snap the bolt broke. do i gotta get the bolt from the ford dealership or can i just pick one up at autozone or napa? i also broke the green EGR thing that was brittle. along with the green one i broke the red one that goes to the fuel pressure valve. just email bill jenkins and order new ones?

Last edited:
well i was cleaning the uim and lim today. went to put the lim back on and the torque wrench never clicked. next thing snap the bolt broke. do i gotta get the bolt from the ford dealership or can i just pick one up at autozone or napa? i also broke the green EGR thing that was brittle. along with the green one i broke the red one that goes to the fuel pressure valve. just email bill jenkins and order new ones?
Get bolt from Ford dealership. I take it you got the bolt out. If not, you need an E-Z out bolt remover. As for the broken rubber tubes, get tubes which are have the inner diameter the size of the outer diameter of the red and green tubes (from Autozone or Advance). Cut new tubes and then push it so that the red and green are inside them. You can, of course, buy new tubes from Ford for $80 or so.

ok. that makes it easy. thanks. yea i got the bolt out. im not sure on how to operate my torque wrench thats the biggest reason for it. ill have to work with it before i put them in.

ok. that makes it easy. thanks. yea i got the bolt out. im not sure on how to operate my torque wrench thats the biggest reason for it. ill have to work with it before i put them in.
ROTFL. It happens to all of us. After the first time I used one, my oil drain bolt started leaking like a sieve when I started the engine. No more torque specs there for me. "Hand very tight". :laugh: .

And incidentally, all these issues you are experiencing while doing maintenance: it has happened to most of us, one time or the other. :laugh:

BINGO! The manifold bolts are 8-10 ft/lbs! You probably read the ft/in torque rating (96-120)! There are two torque wrenches in this world!

At least you got the bolt out!

[FONT=&quot]Installation:[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Install new lower intake gaskets in the guide holes on the heads.
Reinstall the now-clean lower intake back on the heads. Tighten bolts to 72-108 INCH-lbs, observing the proper tightening sequence:

that is 6-9 ft/lbs of torque. i think my wrench was set way too high. [/FONT]

Sometimes when dealing with such a small amount of pressure, it is hard to feel the torque wrench "click." I almost prefer the needle style torque wrench.

100ft lbs on the manifold bolts!!!! 10ftlbs = 120 in lbs ft lbs. Conversion to ft lbs from inch lbs you divide by 12. From ftlbs to inch lbs you multiply by 12. Think you were looking at inch lbs.

ok well i was wondering something. i got the hose like u said and put it on one. im waiting for the uim to come back to do the other but should i tape it on for additional force or will it be fine just the way it is because im afraid it may come apart some how or something.

Back