• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Clutch pedal mushy?

CSVT#49

Addicted CEG'er
I just got back from the dyno with TRicker and I felt his clutch pedal compared to mine and it is much stiffer. He drove my car and was like yea this is definitely mushy. We bleed the clutch when we got back to my house, but it had tons of pressure already. After bleeding it anyway it still didn't get any better. I pumped the pedal for about 6min (roughly 190 times) and it didn't get any harder to depress. I checked the return spring just for $hits and giggles and it didn't seem any different then his...

Anyone have any ideas as to why my clutch pedal would be doing this??

brake fluid seal . this happened and is still happening with mine. if it isnt fully sealing, or is bent in a certain area replace it. i get a lot of pressure but if the car sits it gets mushy.

Could this have anything to do with the clutch master cylinder?? Also as a side note I do not have the clutch pedal set screw installed anymore. So I can pretty much put my clutch pedal to the floor. Would this have damaged the master cylinder? I would think if it would have I would not be seeing pressure at my slave cylinder. But I thought I would add that bit of information just in case it is meaningful.

Last edited:
How old is his clutch compared to yours? Do you both have the same kind of clutch?

Aftermarket high performance clutches are likely stiffer due to higher spring pressures.

As clutches wear, the geometry of the pressure plate fulcrum changes, and the pedal gets stiffer. A new clutch tends to have a lighter pedal. This can de designed out, but to the best of my knowledge it has only been done to some Ford F-150 models. On those, the pressure plate must be restored back to a new disc setting if the disc get replaced without replacing the pressure plate.

Anything about the clutch pedal stop screw being removed though? Would it have any adverse effects on things?

How old is his clutch compared to yours? Do you both have the same kind of clutch?

Aftermarket high performance clutches are likely stiffer due to higher spring pressures.

As clutches wear, the geometry of the pressure plate fulcrum changes, and the pedal gets stiffer. A new clutch tends to have a lighter pedal. This can de designed out, but to the best of my knowledge it has only been done to some Ford F-150 models. On those, the pressure plate must be restored back to a new disc setting if the disc get replaced without replacing the pressure plate.
My clutch pedal has become softer with age... so this thread has interested me. I thought my clutch cylinder was going out. Mine is the OEM clutch with 61,000 on it.

Well I'm looking into a cost of the master cylinder from Steve over at Tousley Ford. If its not to bad I'm just going to replace it to see.

I wish I could get this stupid neutral/clutch switch deal figured out though. As of right now I just have the dang thing taped closed so that the pedal doesn't have to depress it. Otherwise I have to remove the stop screw so that the pedal goes to the floor. Thats what it takes to depress the switch enough to start the car.

Anybody else run into this?

Back