• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

axle change

i need to replace my axles and i have a pretty good idea of what im doing. if anybody has a how to lying around would you mind posting it so it can help me a bit more. im removing the oem axles and installing driveshaft shop level 0 axles on my 1998 csvt.
thanks

uhm, something like...
1. Jack the car up
2. Remove wheel
3. remove ball joint from knuckle
4. remove axle from hub
5. remove axle from tranny
6. repeat on passenger side 1-4
7. remove half shaft bolts
8. remove 2nd axle

I'm sure my terminology is messed up somewhere in there, but it is really pretty easy. Note: you will lose some trans fluid when you remove the axles.

Why would he need a spring compressor? Remove the axle from the hub itself. That, combined with the tie-rod being removed should provide enough swing to move the spring/strut (still assembled) over enough to remove the axle from the transaxle.

Am I missing something, or is the flu getting to me more than I thought?

Why would he need a spring compressor? Remove the axle from the hub itself. That, combined with the tie-rod being removed should provide enough swing to move the spring/strut (still assembled) over enough to remove the axle from the transaxle.

Am I missing something, or is the flu getting to me more than I thought?

Perhaps its just my car, but I cant get enough vertical movement for the ball joint to slide out of the knuckle (even with a person standing on a huge pipe I have), so I have to compress the spring to give it a little extra play.

You're saying that, even in something like "removing the hub" (to change the bearing, etc) you have to compress the springs in order to remove the balljoint pinch bolt/balljoint from the hub? If so, then that IS you!

Wierd..

You're saying that, even in something like "removing the hub" (to change the bearing, etc) you have to compress the springs in order to remove the balljoint pinch bolt/balljoint from the hub? If so, then that IS you!

Wierd..

Trust me...if you tried to take out the ball joint from the knuckle on my car, you would be like what the hell! Seriously, even a pickle fork on top of the ball joint with a 3' pipe used as a breaker bar with me standing on top of it, it doenst have enough play for it to come out without the spring compressed.

Actually I had the same problem. The ball stud got a little cranked and jammed on its way out. Put as much pressure on the A-arm as you want, it wont budge. I had a buddy stand on my leverage bar while I whacked the knuckle inward with a 2"X8"X4' piece of lumber. He almost fell on his backside when it popped out. Worked like a charm on the other side, too.

Back