• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Stock Cat Code P0420

RodneyBur

CEG'er
I'm looking for a stock catalytic converter for a 98 Contour. I'm getting code P0420 (yep its 420).

Anyone have an extra or know where I can get on at a good price? I don't want to hastle with cutting and welding for a replacement so need one that is a direct replacement. I thought about getting the test pipe from trubendz, but am not sure if it will bolt up to a stock exhaust system and not leak. I also thought about cutting open the one thats on there and clean out the inside of it and welding it back up. Just looking for a cheap, reliable fix.

Thanks for the help.

You don't need a catalytic converter, you probably need the rear (Bank 1) Exhaust Manifold (contains the precat) if you do need anything. About $600 list, dealer only.

Or, you can tell us what year and the mileage and there may be better news, perhaps, a warranty, or a simple PCM reflash.

Steve

Damn... I'd rather just change the Cat than do a search.

Its a 98 Contour MTX V6 with just under 100k. We do alot of highway miles, so by the time you read this its probably at 101k.

I have a set of stock manifolds that came off my 99 return cougar w 2 bolt y-pipe. They have no more than 60k on them (probably a lot less but thats whats on my Odo. If those will work I may switch them out (and possibly gut them). Can someone verify that they are the same?

I had the code poping out one time. However, like BigJim mentioned, it's related to another code P0153 (bank 2 O2 sensor). After the O2 sensor was replaced, none of the code poping out any more. Check if you have other CEL code first. If you have anything like 0153, 1151, 0133, 1131, etc., they are most likely to be O2 sensor related. You can get Busch "premium" sensor for sixty something bucks at either Autozone or Advance Autoparts.

I think Tony2005 can give you more detailed information.

...I have a set of stock manifolds that came off my 99 return cougar w 2 bolt y-pipe. They have no more than 60k on them (probably a lot less but thats whats on my Odo. If those will work I may switch them out (and possibly gut them). Can someone verify that they are the same?

I don't think they will work without "fabrication". You may want to check with Bill Jenkins at www.teamfordparts.com

Bill Jenkins email and phone listed here. General Discussions FAQ, where to buy parts.
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=40

Here is a good TSB article on the P0420 code (and other codes) from v8sho forums.
http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/TSB0197HO2SServiceTips.htm

Last edited:
Back