• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

can't get into trunk

afroman

Be Gentle I'm New Here
Help I pulled on the trunk release and it did not pop the trunk. My key hasn't worked in the lock of the trunk since I bought it. I think I might have knocked the switch to deactivate the trunk release (what the point of that stupid thing is I'll never understand).
Anybody have any bright ideas on how I can get in without calling a locksmith. Any tips in how to break into my own trunk?

Thanks

if you have keyless entry and the little fob that will still work for you even if you have flipped the valet switch.

if you don't then follow the above seat method. :(

Sounds a lot like my problem, I believe the gas lifters are dead in mine. Use something to keep the latch up (EX. cell phone charger) unless you have someone else, have them hold it. Go back and lift, if it won't open, it's either locked or it isn't unlatching.

me too....

me too....

I am having the same problem where I can't get my trunk open.

The actual lock is gummed up. I have tried lubricating it several times, and can't even get my key in.

The key fob also doesn't work, I push the button, no sound, nothing.

The pull lever was working until this weekend. It was working barely, I would usually need someone to pull the trunk lid up while I was pulling the lever up. Probably need to replace the shock lifters.

To complicate things further, I took apart the pull lever to see if the problem was the cable needing adjustment. In the process a plastic piece broke off that holds the cable in place. :mad:

One positive is that I can get into the trunk via the fold down seats. Is there a way to pop open the trunk from inside? There is a piece of plastic molding along the bottom of the inside of the trunk that I can try removing, hopefully I can get to the lock or cable from there. I will try that tomorrow.

My goal is to get one of the 3 methods of opening my trunk to work. The Ford dealer didn't seem confident they could fix it until the trunk was actually open.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :help:

if the problem is from what you guys are saying there are two fixes for it. i ran at the same problem long time ago. what i did the first few times: i unbolted the little mechanism that pulls the wires (located in the trunk on the left of the latch, and i took it out the car, i opened it and spent some time figuring out what the problem was. turned out that there are several gear rings inside, which rotate to pull the latch. however, when they start rotating, some of them tend to move up, because of the force they get from the rotation. the casing of this entire mechanism tends to loosen up, and is not strong enough to hold these gears in place...so when they start spinning, some of them move up and don't really turn the rest of the gears. so i taped the damn thing up and worked perfectly fine (This is if the trunk wouldn't open from the remote). But then the latch itself is held by three bolts i believe. loosen the bolts a bit and you will be able to move the latch up and down. all you'll have to do is shift it a little up (1/10-1/12 of an inch). That solved the problem for me for a couple of months. I guess it kept shifting down (from trunk hitting it when closing) so I got the spring offered by ford which is in the How To/Mods section in the old forums. It was like $10 from my local dealership. i installed it, and now the trunk pops up a bit...it’s been more than a year and never had a problem with it!!! well worth the 10 bucks

Back