• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New Wheels, interesting story

turbo_fox

Veteran CEG'er
I'll start with the story. So I have always liked the 5 spoke svt focus wheels, and my friend happens to have a silver SVT focus. We had powder coated his wheels black, and I didn't really like that. I had a set of 17x9 Cobra R wheels on my mustang, which were soon to be obsolete as I was converting to 5 lug. The question then came up, would those cobra R wheels fit on my focus???

Either way, I got the SVT Focus 5 spokes, I sandblasted them, and had them painted silver frost. I don't know about the factory wheel color, but I really like them painted to match the car.

Heres the wheels:

dsc00075mediumpe5.jpg

Heres them on the contour, made me realize how bad it needed to be lowered!
dsc00076mediumqp8.jpg

dsc00077mediumrl3.jpg

oh yeah, 225/45/17 Hankook RS2's

Since I know all of you are wondering....

dsc00072mediumhn9ff4.jpg

dsc00074mediumhj8sd3.jpg

dsc00071mediumny5.jpg

I have my priorities in line....Twin turbo 351W or lowered SVT Contour? which would you choose?

Lowering the contour!!! It looks too much like a 4 wheel drive!

On the other hand.....the VW in the background with the keg straped to its roof is priceless!

The wheel bearings are going to like that RWD offset for about 5 minutes before thay give in.

yeah, the offset on the focus is really bad news for both handling and durability.

Like Todd said, the wheel bearings will go, but also hard bumps will likely cut a tire on any given fender, if not all of them. The increased scrub radius will do odd things to the steering feel and the handling of the car.

the VW with the keg on top is AMAZING...

and i do like how the focus looks with the stang rims, not sure about the offset...butoverall, i like it!

everyone likes the VW? heres a few more. He just replaced the side mouldings with black textured so it looks more consistent now. By the way, someone stole the keg a couple weeks ago! he had to get a new one.

DSC_0148.jpg

DSC_0141.jpg

DSC_0019a.jpg

DSC_0144.jpg

yeah, the offset on the focus is really bad news for both handling and durability.

Like Todd said, the wheel bearings will go, but also hard bumps will likely cut a tire on any given fender, if not all of them. The increased scrub radius will do odd things to the steering feel and the handling of the car.

He actually doesn't get any rubbing, and he uses a set of 16x7's with 225 hankook rs2's for autocrossing. He only has the cobras for the look.

Loving the VW more and more!!

...........man I need a beer.......

It's a shame about the keg getting stolen though...

haha that pick is great...and the silverfrost looks just like mine

but i dont think mine looks lifted like that, did your car just come of the lift/jacks?

also im diggin the focus...looks very euro with those wheels

Back