• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Griffin SVT Radiator - Interest Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSVT#49

Addicted CEG'er
Alright everyone that has been trying to replace an SVT Radiator or has been wanting a high performance radiator for their car now is the time to speak up.

I've been in contact with Griffin Thermal Products and they can make us radiators for our cars. I'm going to have them make a prototype for me, which will cost $475 or there abouts. After that depending on our demand and how many orders I can get placed the price per unit will come down quite a bit. Before I venture into this I need some commitment before I put down the cash to have this built for us. With that said who is interested and will be willing to put down $350+ (not to say it will be that much, but at this point I do not know).

1. CSVT#49

Last edited:
1. CSVT#49
2. morbid

Oh you know I'm in ;). Don't forget about the Cougar people.

I'd bet quite a few guys on NECO would be interested, since NONE of our cars came with the SVT radiator. We've had to cannibalize your CSVT's for radiators, lol.

I'd bet quite a few guys on NECO would be interested, since NONE of our cars came with the SVT radiator. We've had to cannibalize your CSVT's for radiators, lol.

lol, yes, yes we have. I have an svt radiator but depending how these turn out, I may be interested in this as well.

I'll post an interest check over on NECO for you.

I may be interested too depending on cost.

Will this be significantly thicker than stock? Would you have to get rid of the AC condenser?

Thanks,
Ben

Will this be significantly thicker than stock? Would you have to get rid of the AC condenser?

Thanks,
Ben

iirc the SVT radiator is twice as thick as the standard raditor ... it was in a thread in the general forum

Thanks,
Ben
Assuming the specs are the same from when I talked to Griffin, the standard radiator will have a 1.5" core with 2.25" tanks. So the core will be about the same as SVT, but I think the tanks are bigger (don't know how big the SVT tanks are). It'll be all aluminum... no plastic tanks like we currently have.

If you live in the Southwest or you are thinking of going boost this should definately be on your list. In the summer my car always ran a bit above normal, even on the expressway. As you guys may or may not know timing and fuel are directly related to engine and intake temperatures. A hot engine will heat up the engine bay so much it will increase the intake temps as well so you have a double whammie. So not only are you pulling timing and adding fuel but the opportunity for engine damage from knock escalates. The 180 thermostat won't mean a thing if the coolant has no chance to cool. The Contour fans pull plenty of cfm's so that's not the issue. If I still had my car this would definately be on my list.

lol, yes, yes we have. I have an svt radiator but depending how these turn out, I may be interested in this as well.

I'll post an interest check over on NECO for you.

Thanks.

As for all the questions. Once I know there is enough interest I will pull the radiator out of my car and send it in for Griffin to prototype off of, paying the initial $475 to get the work done. When I take it out I will measure all of the critcal dimensions and I will see what we have to work with and how much bigger (if any) we can go. I'd rather not lose A/C as I enjoy the cool air blowing in my face when it's hotter then hell outside.

I don't meant to hiijack your thread but...

How about using a Fluidyne Focus radiator? They are $360ish on Ebay. From what I just measured on a work Focus ZXW, the upper radiator mounts are exactly the same, the upper and lower inlet/outlet are the same, and the end tanks are actually designed better. You don't have to use the bizzare octopus hose like on a stock Zetec. (Even though I know most of you are Duratec guys.)

Check it out...

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=focus+fluidyne+radiator&category0=

fld-fhp11-00foc_w.jpg

The upper pegs are the same diameter and are 26.75" apart just like the Contour. The lower pegs are 28" apart. I have to wait until I get home to see if this is also the same. The hieght also looks dead-on. The fan mounts look pretty close too.

The core is 38mm thick (1.5"), same as the Griffin.

Considering they are already being sold for $360, how much could we get them for in a GB? $325? $300?

Just a thought...

Ben

Last edited:
The lower pegs are 28" apart. I have to wait until I get home to see if this is also the same. The height also looks dead-on. The fan mounts look pretty close too.

I just verified it. The Contour's lower radiator mounts are adjustable and will go to 28". The only thing left to check would be to see if the pegs are aligned the right way vertically. (So that it isn't tilted in or out at the bottom.)

BP

I don't meant to hiijack your thread but...

How about using a Fluidyne Focus radiator? They are $360ish on Ebay. From what I just measured on a work Focus ZXW, the upper radiator mounts are exactly the same, the upper and lower inlet/outlet are the same, and the end tanks are actually designed better. You don't have to use the bizzare octopus hose like on a stock Zetec. (Even though I know most of you are Duratec guys.)

Check it out...

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=focus+fluidyne+radiator&category0=

The upper pegs are the same diameter and are 26.75" apart just like the Contour. The lower pegs are 28" apart. I have to wait until I get home to see if this is also the same. The hieght also looks dead-on. The fan mounts look pretty close too.

The core is 38mm thick (1.5"), same as the Griffin.

Considering they are already being sold for $360, how much could we get them for in a GB? $325? $300?

Just a thought...

Ben

How about you buy one and tell us whether it fits or not. I'd much rather spend a few more bucks on something that is guaranteed to fit instead of spending a bunch of money on something that might fit. Although I'll follow up with Fluidyne to see if they would be willing to build us one specifically for the Contour.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back