• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Leaky Trunk!

csvt2200

Veteran CEG'er
Ok, So my Trunk has a leak somewhere on the passanger side. Not cool at all considering I just put a new system in as seen in the pics I posted in "Pics/Videos". I never noticed this untill it rained alot this past weekend. I can't tell where its coming from though, my carpet is wet on the right side of the trunk but only on the spare tire cover. Not on the sides or anything, so i'm guessing it's just leaking strait down off my trunk lid on that side or something. My trunk seals seem ok, no cracks, or out of place or anything. Anyone else had this problem at all? Getting a new trunk seal is about the only thing I can do right? where is the best place to get them for cheapest? Thanks!

Also take a look at your tail lights... the foam rubber around mine got fairly deteriorated and began to leak a couple of months after I sealed up the vents as shown in that thread. The water would run in the channel along the trunk, and instead of sheding out, it leaked inside the car.. big headache, but it's nice to not have a fogged up rear window at times.

Trunk vents and tail lights. Nuff said.

Open the trunk, pull the carpet back, and pour some water down the side and let it flow down the tail lights. Watch to see where it enters from.

Trunklid reflector gasket may leak

Trunklid reflector gasket may leak

Run water along the top edge of the trunklid reflector. Could be its gasket. Check your backup lights and see if there is corrosion in the bulb sockets. If there is, you should pull the reflector and add thin gasket foam to the top edge. Check for the hole in the decklid being bent, mine was. I actually had water in the backup lights dripping out. You might be lucky and not have to do this, the relector is hard to remove. Pull inner panel, remove nuts and careful pulling/prying on the lens.

Another good way is to climb in the trunk and shut it. Either go through the fold down seats or make sure someone will let you back out. Once it's closed, check for any light along the seals, that may be a leaky spot.

I opened the trunk on a mystique I just bought and it was like I dumped a gallon of watter in there... it just keep coming out of the trunklid...

Crazy!

cannondalemtb and i just spent our saturday dealing with this. what yoiu have to do is fold your rear seats down and lay inside the trunk with a flashlight (while its closed) and have someone run a a hose on the car. we did it and both of our cars had different problems. his taillights were leaking and my vents as well as my trunk seal along the top were leaking. we fixed it right up with silicon

cannondalemtb and i just spent our saturday dealing with this. what yoiu have to do is fold your rear seats down and lay inside the trunk with a flashlight (while its closed) and have someone run a a hose on the car. we did it and both of our cars had different problems. his taillights were leaking and my vents as well as my trunk seal along the top were leaking. we fixed it right up with silicon

But I thought the #0000000000000009 SVT was perfect? :laugh:

Thats exactly what I did. My passenger vent was leaking so bad that it was running inside the car. My floorboard up front was wet. No lie. I fixed it with some silicone.

My driverside trunk vent was leaking. I saw that it was broken so I replaced the vent with one from the junkyard. Had to loosen up the rear bumper.

Then shortly after I got that fixed, my passenger trunk vent started to leak. Haven't fixed it yet because I dont feel like having to loosen up the rear bumper. Maybe I'll try a sealant.

To find out if it's the vents thats leaking, open the trunk and pour some water over the top of the sides of the rear bumper. If it's the vents, you will see the water coming in.

yeh i had a leak in mine it was the tail lights and the rubber seal along the trunk i just knocked it wit a hammer and sealed it back and sealed back the tail ights and now its fine.. i was scared it was gunna short out my amp

Back