• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Testing IMRC

Matty K

Hard-core CEG'er
Hello everyone,

I've been reading up on the IMRC threads here, but I still have a question about testing it. Is there a way to test the IMRC in terms of signal? As in, can you send 12v to one of the wires to activate it? Or at the very least, is there a wire to moniter to see if it's recieving the activation signal from the PCM?

In relation to me, here's the deal... my IMRC wasn't working. I got a used, but supposedly working, one from a member, installed it, and it still doesn't work. Rev it up to 5k or so, nothing happens, the whole deal. Everything's connected correctly, including the "arm" for the back bank. So, I've ordered replacement transistors for both of them, but want to make sure that's what the problem is, and it's not a PCM issue or something (no codes, btw). Hence, the test question.

If you need it, I have an extra one that I'm 99% sure stills works, if you're interested.

Have you checked out the transistor?

I have two IMRCs now, and ordered replacement transistors for both. I'm more concerned about it being something on the car end.

Why not grab the one from the car at the junkyard?

never thought about that.. plus it took me 3 hours to get the seats out today. well i was done with all but the drives side ina bout 45 min. i had to snap 1 seat bolt cause it was striped from under the car. nothing a crow bar can't handle. :)

Is there any movement at all? For me (even though i currently have a P1518) when I turn the key to run I can hear the motor moving inside the box. Also when someone else turns the key I can watch the secondaries open. If absolutely nothing is happening for both box's, and there are no codes, there may be another problem.
Sorry if this doesn't help, I'm new(excuse).:blackeye:

Is there any movement at all? For me (even though i currently have a P1518) when I turn the key to run I can hear the motor moving inside the box. Also when someone else turns the key I can watch the secondaries open. If absolutely nothing is happening for both box's, and there are no codes, there may be another problem.
Sorry if this doesn't help, I'm new(excuse).:blackeye:
Welcome :) . Thanks for posting.

Back