• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

i wondered why my car was slow

A3ON

CEG'er
i decided to pull my Y-pipe off today and look what i found

when i 1st pulled my Y-pipe off
0526071901.jpg

what fell out
cat.jpg

runs 10x better

His sig says he has a 95, OBD 1 guys. I have 0 cats on my 95 mystique and no MILs, runs fine. I suspect he'll be just fine.

His sig says he has a 95, OBD 1 guys. I have 0 cats on my 95 mystique and no MILs, runs fine. I suspect he'll be just fine.

From what I understand, MIL's are for the O2's after the cats. The rear O2's basically tell if you have converters or not.

From what I understand, MIL's are for the O2's after the cats. The rear O2's basically tell if you have converters or not.

Correct, but if I'm remembering correctly (and I'm quite tired so maybe not) OBD 1 doesn't use the O2 to trigger CEL's, just monitor the exhaust and help the comp. control fuel. OBD2 has upstream and downstream and compares the readings from each to determine if the cat is functioning properly, if not, it triggers a MIL.

On my 95 SE I had headers and no main cat and didn't throw any CELs. I did not run MILs either. Every once in a while I would get a CEL, but it wouldn't stay on long enough for me to check.

95's only have upstream sensors, one in top of each manifold. 96+ have 4 one before and one after the cat on each bank, with the downstream sensors if you gut the cats you have to have O2 eliminators to trick the computer into thinking there are still cats.

Correct, but if I'm remembering correctly (and I'm quite tired so maybe not) OBD 1 doesn't use the O2 to trigger CEL's, just monitor the exhaust and help the comp. control fuel. OBD2 has upstream and downstream and compares the readings from each to determine if the cat is functioning properly, if not, it triggers a MIL.

Ahhh yeah. I totally failed to notice it was a 95 which would make it OBD1. Right you are.

you know after looking at these pics. would a 99 throw cel's if mine were clogged or fell apart?

clogged - probably not
gutted - yes

My 2000 3L SVT is getting the damn codes every week - I'm running stock manifolds, WeaponR y-pipe to stock everything. I'm going to build a MIL tonight - If it goes well, I may build a few extras for people on here who dont want to or trust themselves to make them.

Back