• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Upgrading Lights

Luke_Miller

CEG'er
I am thinking of upgrading my headlights. I do not think I want to invest in HID. Any thoughts on the Sylvania Silverstar or GE Night Hawks? Or is there something else I should look into. TIA.

Either of those bulbs you mentioned are quite pricey without coupons or discounts. About $30 - $50 a pair. Even more if you go PIAA. What I would do is the

9005 in the 9006 mod, Very easy, 110% more light, and about 60 - 65% of the light of an HID

click here...

I have PIAA's right now (cost me $80)-- They look fun from the front (which most worry about) but the light output is garbage...

I'm assuming you don't want to go HID's because of the cost, there is a cheap group buy right now in the 'group buy' forum for $205-- The output and efficiency will be a ton more than what you're going to spend on cheesy bulbs.. Just a wiring harness and some hook up and you should be set in case you change your mind.. I'm currently in the process for it, I just need to buy some new headlights that aren't hazed first :)

Go grab a pair of Silverstar High Beams (9005) and put that in. Its an easy and fast mod that grants you much more light.

But when compared to HIDs, well lets just say you get what you pay for...:cool:

P5210057.jpg

The Silverstar 9005 mod is a great improvement over stock or even Silverstar 9006's, but the HID group buy is an economical way to go. I've done both and I love the HID's.

Yes- you just might have to dremel or shave down the little tab in the middle of the socket, because it's not an exact fit-- You'll know what I am talking about when you see the bulb out of the socket.. there is a fitment line that will not allow it to go in unless it's shaved off

well today before i installed my headlight after hightowering it, i noticed that the high beam light fit fine in the lowbeam socket, but whe i tried to put a lowbeam bulb in the high beam socket, it didnt fit. so maybe i can get out of shaving the bulb.

well today before i installed my headlight after hightowering it, i noticed that the high beam light fit fine in the lowbeam socket, but whe i tried to put a lowbeam bulb in the high beam socket, it didnt fit. so maybe i can get out of shaving the bulb.

you don't put the low beam bulb in the high beam socket!

You don't SWITCH them, you merely pick up a set of 9005 bulbs and use those as your 9006, giving you 4 9005 bulbs (you'll still have DRLs + High beams).

The 9005s have higher wattage and output vs. 9006s, lol.

Go buy some cheap bulbs and put them in your 9005 slots.

Back