• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

alternator wires wont come off?

TRicker

Hard-core CEG'er
okay i am pulling my engine and im workin on getting the alt. wires off and the one plug with one small wire going into it won't come off and i cant see a bolt or anything so i dont know if its a plug or if it has a bolt through it. if you could let me know that would help a lot, thats all that's holdin me from gettin the engine out right now. thanks ;)

"there are three wires...

one is a plug that you have the REMOVE THE COPPER WIRE going across it, then slide the plug off.

the second is a small plastic grey plug that is VERY fragile. use your small flathead to lift up on the tab that is recessed below the surface level of the alternator, and then slide the clip off, as well..

The third is held on with a bolt (7mm, IIRC) THIS is why you removed the positive battery terminal.. huge sparks and fuses blown if you didn'"

^^^^^^ Beat me to it, lol.

3 wires

one with the 10mm nut

one with the wire/ bar that you need to push down to release it

and lastly a small grey clip that slide onto a single prong. There is a little tab on the top that you push and it slides right off.

thanks boys, out comes the engine. i cant wait to pull the heads off it... metal in the oil pan, and up in the intake manifolds :) looks like there's a bunch of metal welded to the intake valves (secondaries) on the center two cylinders.

Back