• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Is this a good clutch kit?

Most everyone uses a spec stage 3 with no complants.
Now some have used a centerforce dual friction with no complants.
Unless your planing on Forced induction its not going to help you..I had a Spec stage 2 clutch lasted me a year 8-9K and it was toast..I went back to a Stock Clutch..

I don't know anything about that clutch. Many here are happy with Spec Stage I's. I'm VERY happy with my Spec Stage II, it's been in for 2 years now of daily commuting and hard play, and that includes a few nights of hotlapping, doing 1/4 mile drag runs every five minutes. But take the clutch and pressure plate to a good machine shop, check out that they really are machined/balanced right BEFORE it all goes in.

AND study old posts on the Transaxle forum.

Spec clutches have "issues" get a Sachs clutch kit from Eric at B.A.T., I was very happy with my clutch and it hooks up, no noises, and they last-Good Luck Rikk

Again, as i have told you guys in this thread before:

STOP SPREADING CRAP that is unfounded, unbased, and not backed by ANY factual information other than your hearsay of YOUR particular issues.

Spec clutches are a great performing clutch. 99% of the users, you never hear from (because they had a GREAT install.)

.75% are able to say "oops.. I installed it wrong" or "dang.. I forgot to turn everything, and skipped out on some essential steps.

However, you always have that last .25% that scream and holler about crap that they brought on themselves. Many, MANY people are using Specs. Spec Stage 1 is comparable to a stock SVT clutch, stage 3 is the higher performance (Forced induced, or BUILT BUILT 3L)

Stage 2 is the only one I would PERSONALLY avoid, but that is due to being made of kevlar and glazing rather easily, if you don't know how to drive correctly.

Hey Ray how often do you hear/read problems with Sachs clutches?
How many members have had "issues" with Spec?Do you really think the issues are all do to a mechanics inability?I have never owned a Spec but before buying a new clutch(Sachs:cool: )I read as much as possible and researched clutches. I am glad I did because all I hear/read is Spec clutches have issues. I am glad you like your clutch, more power to you but don't get mad that some are/were unhappy with Spec and choose to tell others.-Rikk

well how many people on an enthusiasts board are going to stick with a stock piece? lets see I would say close to 100% tend to upgrade the clutch ... now you are pulling from a small group of people so of course you are going to hear more problems about aftermarket clutches then problems with stock replacement clutches since those people are not on this board .... and again people here are going to tend to drive their cars harder then the average person, bringing to light more problems that might not be common but then again here is a enthusiast group so there you go ...

besides if you read most of the problems they turned out to be install error ... and recently there has been alot of problems ... seems the .25% kicking and screaming and scaring other people .... hmm reminds me about the news ... they covered a few plane crashes and then everywhere you turned there was a crash covered on the news ... its getting blown out of proportion ...

however I think Spec might of had a bad batch at one point ...

and again I agree, no one has proven without a doubt, with supporting evidence that Spec clutches are crap and will fail prematurly ...

now what I was originally going to post, isn't Aundy's Auto Sports the place that screwed all those people on the body kit, Caodic or what ever it was called, group buy? why would anyone want to buy from them. Also haven't they gone the way of SHO Shop?

the clutchmaster stage 3 clutch is an excellent clutch. i have one on my cougar and 91 probe gt. you'll have no issues with clutch slip, opposed to the spec stage 1 which starts to slip after 12k miles and hard driving.

the clutchmaster stage 3 clutch is an excellent clutch. i have one on my cougar and 91 probe gt. you'll have no issues with clutch slip, opposed to the spec stage 1 which starts to slip after 12k miles and hard driving.

I appreciate your post with other positive review of differing brands, however your particular comment about "12k" slipping should also be followed with the fact that it is an individual problem.. its as subjective as the words "hard driving". What is "hard" to one, is easy to another, and the fact is that the spec stage 1 clutch is VERY close to a stock SVT clutch, and you don't see all of those failing in 12K miles, do you?

Again, as i have told you guys in this thread before:

STOP SPREADING CRAP that is unfounded, unbased, and not backed by ANY factual information other than your hearsay of YOUR particular issues.

Spec clutches are a great performing clutch. 99% of the users, you never hear from (because they had a GREAT install.)

.75% are able to say "oops.. I installed it wrong" or "dang.. I forgot to turn everything, and skipped out on some essential steps.

However, you always have that last .25% that scream and holler about crap that they brought on themselves. Many, MANY people are using Specs. Spec Stage 1 is comparable to a stock SVT clutch, stage 3 is the higher performance (Forced induced, or BUILT BUILT 3L)

Stage 2 is the only one I would PERSONALLY avoid, but that is due to being made of kevlar and glazing rather easily, if you don't know how to drive correctly.

How about if I were to tell you to stop telling everyone to get a Spec clutch when they are clearly having issues with a high number of people(like you did above)???? Many of those who purchased Spec never needed anything more than the stock SVT clutch to begin with.. Everything YOU posted above is hearsay with statements like "99% of users you never hear", exactly what you are accusing others of doing. Spec has been having a HIGH number of issues reported.

Last edited:
Does tasso only post in Spec clutch posts? LMMFAO! Never see the guy anywhere else helping anyone.

SPEC Stage 1 here. About 45k miles on it and still works like it did brand new. Installed professionally at around 85k, removed at 93k for motor swap and reinstalled myself following proper install instructions and torque specs. (Now at 132K)

Bites hard as ever and never a slip.

How about if I were to tell you to stop telling everyone to get a Spec clutch when they are clearly having issues with a high number of people(like you did above)???? Many of those who purchased Spec never needed anything more than the stock SVT clutch to begin with.. Everything YOU posted above is hearsay with statements like "99% of users you never hear", exactly what you are accusing others of doing. Spec has been having a HIGH number of issues reported.

I think what people tell everyone to do on this forum is to search. I read tons of posts that said it was preferable to upgrade to a SVT clutch rather than the Spec. Terry Haines told me to use the SVT clutch or Luk(they made the OEM). I decided I wanted a little more clamping power and was getting the Spec flywheel as well, so that's what I got. As far as quality goes, you can't beat the OEM or Luk, but they only have so much clamping force. I figured I was going to go forced induction someday, but that it would happen before I would replace the clutch agian, so I got the Spec.

Please research the archives before making any purchase you might regret later. ;)

I think you'll notice that the phrase "You should buy a Spec" occurs less often than the phrase "Search!" One shouldn't blame people enthusiastic about a product for a lack of searching.

i almost bought a spec but
my sisters slobra 5.0 had a spec lasted around 3k
a buddy of mine his gt had a spec he took it out when got a 6 speed tranny
had 10k it was almost toast
my svt has 120k revved hard and dumped for the last 26k
still great
im not buying spec ill try centerforce

Spec appears to have a much higher failure rate than a stock clutch as has been documented here by many with past problems. I am not spreading crap with this post just go search yourself for those who have had a Spec clutch fail early. Unless you are making over 250-270 horsepower at the wheels why risk usning a Spec clutch that many have had problems with.

Sach clutch

Sach clutch

Sach clutch here....
Installed 82000 kms ago
Crappy install by Mech. throwout always made noise.
Clutch does not completly release ,now. Bleeding system.
My major decision will be more toward Mechanical shop, than Brand. I would like to try Cenerforce.
And 240 K kms leaves a bit to think about.

i replaced my clutch with an LUK and it is great. i'm pretty sure that it is the stock SVT clutch, but not sure. are you planning on a 3l or turbo? if not, i wouldn't get a stage 3.

Back