• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Speedo and Tach drop to Zero, Car Bucks and Dies

Excuse my ignorance, but would this cause the car to jerk violently as it is attempting to stay going?

Yes, car bucks because your injectors don't get enough volts to spray the right amount of fuel. That is why it gets worse when you tried to give it gas (leaning out too much)... probally leaning out past 17:1.

Only after rain

Check wiring at alternator. Check if missing splash shield at alternator. Check if long "rubber tube" near PCM (by power steering reservoir) is missing. This is the "rubber tube" that you have to pull off when you change the cabin air filter.

Tony,
I don't have the splash shield installed. I'm not sure the "rubber tube" your talking about? Do you have any pics? When I replaced my cabin filter I didn't have to pull off any "tubes". Please advise.

Also, this morning on my way to work it happened again about 12 miles from my house, anyway... I got out and checked the voltage on the battery while I was manually opening the throttle and it was almost constant voltage 13.8 something...

Let me know what you think.

Tony,
I don't have the splash shield installed. I'm not sure the "rubber tube" your talking about? Do you have any pics? When I replaced my cabin filter I didn't have to pull off any "tubes". Please advise.

Also, this morning on my way to work it happened again about 12 miles from my house, anyway... I got out and checked the voltage on the battery while I was manually opening the throttle and it was almost constant voltage 13.8 something...

Let me know what you think.
Sorry, I meant the weatherstipping piece of rubber. Figure 5 in Autozonelink. If it is missing, water can get into the PCM and short it.
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/bd/ee/0900823d801bbdee/repairInfoPages.htm

In addition, the splash shield for the alternator is critical or water will get to the alternator and its wiring (harness).
http://www.contour.org/FAQ/tsb/content/97-11-2.html

Sorry, I meant the weatherstipping piece of rubber. Figure 5 in Autozonelink. If it is missing, water can get into the PCM and short it.
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/bd/ee/0900823d801bbdee/repairInfoPages.htm

In addition, the splash shield for the alternator is critical or water will get to the alternator and its wiring (harness).
http://www.contour.org/FAQ/tsb/content/97-11-2.html

Tony,
I do have the weatherstripping that you were talking about. Where can I get the splash shield kit from online? Or do I have to go directly to a Ford dealer?

Also, the problems still there, what do you think it might be?

Thanks

I'm sorry that I didn't read this thread sooner. This is a classic description of intermittent VSS (vehicle speed sensor) failure. Look over the wiring to the sensor and see if there are any obvious wiring issues. If not, start by replacing the VSS. (Good luck, access is difficult.)

I'm sorry that I didn't read this thread sooner. This is a classic description of intermittent VSS (vehicle speed sensor) failure. Look over the wiring to the sensor and see if there are any obvious wiring issues. If not, start by replacing the VSS. (Good luck, access is difficult.)

Jim,
Does the VSS sympton relate to the tach going crazy by itself, regardless of the odometer? Or does it pertain to both?

Thx

Jim,
Does the VSS sympton relate to the tach going crazy by itself, regardless of the odometer? Or does it pertain to both?

Thx

You're right. I didn't read that carefully enough. The speedo and odometer acting up can relate to the VSS. The tach acting up does not.

So chasing a charging system and/or battery problem is appropriate.

You're right. I didn't read that carefully enough. The speedo and odometer acting up can relate to the VSS. The tach acting up does not.

So chasing a charging system and/or battery problem is appropriate.

I've already tested the battery to be good. I've tested the voltage output of the alternator to be constantly above 13.8, even while I rev the engine and it cuts out intermittently. It only happens 'noticeably' after it's warmed up. After you let the car sit for a while (not sure how long) you can drive it again without the problem.

Keep in mind that while I'm talking about the tach going crazy, the actual problem is the car stumbles drastically and recovers very fast over and over while the problem occurs. Usually I have to put it in nuetral and coast for a 1/4 mile or so, before I steadily accelerate again for another 1/4 mile before it stumble/bucks/hesitates, all of the above.

please help, I don't what else to test, where else to look.... I don't want to have to take it to the stealership...

check for AC voltage out of the alternator. if your getting any more than .5v AC the diode pack is bad and you need to replace it or the alternator.

simply take your multimeter and put it on AC volts, start the car and put the leads of the meter on the battery terminals. post your results.

check for AC voltage out of the alternator. if your getting any more than .5v AC the diode pack is bad and you need to replace it or the alternator.

simply take your multimeter and put it on AC volts, start the car and put the leads of the meter on the battery terminals. post your results.

I highly appreciate your quick response.... when I get home from work tonight I will test it and post.

Thx

I've already tested the battery to be good. I've tested the voltage output of the alternator to be constantly above 13.8, even while I rev the engine and it cuts out intermittently. It only happens 'noticeably' after it's warmed up. After you let the car sit for a while (not sure how long) you can drive it again without the problem.

Keep in mind that while I'm talking about the tach going crazy, the actual problem is the car stumbles drastically and recovers very fast over and over while the problem occurs. Usually I have to put it in nuetral and coast for a 1/4 mile or so, before I steadily accelerate again for another 1/4 mile before it stumble/bucks/hesitates, all of the above.

please help, I don't what else to test, where else to look.... I don't want to have to take it to the stealership...
1) Actually, Big Jim could be right here. It could be the VSS or the wiring for it. You may have to test it. I think it is the green/red which goes to the PCM. Do you know if your 95 is cable driven or wire for the VSS? Check if there is a coaxial type looking wire going into the firewall.

2) You may end up having to send it to the dealership for a one hour diagnosis.

But first, try describing everthing in detail again (does the "OD off" light go on? Did you get the CEL retrieved? etc.).

Autozonelink for wiring diagrams.
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1e/b3/2d/0900823d801eb32d/repairInfoPages.htm

Last edited:
just fixed that problem

just fixed that problem

i just had the same problem, its the alternator. my car did that went the battery was killed. i had it professionally rebuilt and now it has 150A compared to the 120A factory. Also does anyone know why the lights would be fluttering while i'm driving?

If you mean the lights flicker: make sure it isn't just loud bass (if you have a system), or the A/C cutting in. If the lights flicker as you drive, poor regulation, revisit the alternator shop. I had that problem with an aftermarket voltage regulator (on a Chrysler), an OEM one fixed it, but the regulator is inside the Ford alternator.

after your revised description of the symptoms (stumbles and recovers RAPIDLY), search the troubleshooting forum for a post made BY ME, about a problem I was having like this.

The next time its happening, try unplugging your TPS. This is assuming you have checked your PCM wiring, battery connections, and grounds (including the one underneath the battery tray.

I would bet that when you unplug your TPS the symptoms stop.

Do that search for a post by me within the last 3 months, or so, and you'll see a list of ALL the symptoms I incurred, and my locations I checked

Thanks, Ray. I am going to check it out. I know this car is one of the cars that needed the wiring replacement but never received it. As it is out of the extended warranty protection of the recall now, it would be prohibitively expensive to have it done at the dealer (and I'm not sure I want to tackle it either). haha

Back