• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

clutch or tranny what went wrong

chewdizzle

New CEG'er
I finished my swap, started her up, everthing sounds nice . Its all good. Until i got in and started making sure everything worked correctly. thats went i noticed that i can put her into any gear without pushing the clutch except 4th. Also the wheels spin when its in neutral. Mind you that i have not yet put the wheels on the ground yet because i don't want mess anything up. what cause be the problem?

Last edited:
sounds rights

sounds rights

i'm taking the tranny as we speak, if that is the case and i dont' have the a alignment tool for my vehicle what could i used to get the alignment correct?

Did you bleed your slave cylinder correctly or even at all? If you used the guide to align your clutch you should have a problem with the alignment and even if you did use the guide you should always visually inspect to make sure the clutch is where it needs to be. Also, are you sure you're putting it into gear at all? Check over you shift cables and your shift tower to be sure that you have them connected properly.

Wait, you're removing your transmission already??? Check over the easy stuff first before you go and pull the whole transmission. Your clutch can't be that far mis-aligned if you managed to get your transmission bolted up without any problems.

As stated above if your clutch was somewhat centered it should be ok. The input shaft from the transmission needs to slide into it. Unless it was way off and you really had to work to tighten the transmission down its probably an issue with air in the lines. If that is the case the clutch pedal should feel very light meaning you need to bleed the system.

i bled the system, thats what i did first. before doin that the clutch would go straight to the floor. i bled the system and now the clutch has some resistance but still not as much as before. the clutch cables looks as if they are hooked up correctly. one more thing reverse works correctly and when i put it in 4th gear it kicks it back out.

well the tranny is already on the way out just need to drop the frame. so i'll check out the alignment and make sure things are good with that. if so i'll reassemble everything, re-bleed and advise.

your wheels should spin if you have it off the ground even in neutral...

I forget what that is called, but ask todras.

as far as putting it in gear...not sure, but if you have it the air...you aren't going to stall it when it goes in any gear and technically you can shift without a clutch.

Did you adjust the cables correctly? Ford has a special tool to adjust them but you can get them close on your own. You need to put the car in neutral, push the orange plastic piece in on the end of each cable to let the tension out and then wiggle the shifter in the car back and forth until it is dead center. Then pop the orange pieces back in and check to make sure the car will go into each gear. After that adjust each cable slightly to get it perfect. If this isn't the case then you may have an issue with the transmission itself.

Back