• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

MTX leak

three57mag

New CEG'er
so a few years ago i did a clutch change and put in a LSD well the trans was out ever since then the underside of my trans has been a little wet with fluid. not enough to realy care about but enough to notice. anyways in january the flood gates opened up and the fluid started leaking faster and faster. now its to the point of droping a quart ever 3 or 4 weeks. and no its not coming from the seals. its coming from between the case halfs. im just kinda wondering if anyone out there knows a good way to stop or slow down the loss of fluid.... i realy don't want to have to pull that thing out again.....

thanks for the help

did you clean the faces and put the 3mm bead of silicone sealant between the case halfs when you put it back together? wheather or not you did i suspect you will have to pull it out and seal them again.

By 2 case halfs I assume your talking the transmission and bellhousing? Those do not need any sealant - no fluids in there - just dust. It is probably leaking from the seal where the slutch splines up. You could try and see if there is any stop-leak product for a MTX - otherwise your transmission is going to have to come out.

By 2 case halfs I assume your talking the transmission and bellhousing? Those do not need any sealant - no fluids in there - just dust.

Pretty sure he didn't since he stated between the 2 case halves.:rolleyes: The builder should have at least put RTV between the 2 which is still a no no. Anaerobic gasket maker is what Terry says to sue for everything. It's about $13 a tube so I'm most mom & pop shops skimp. Unless you did the skimping on your own. If you don't send it to Terry then you can't complain when things go wrong. :laugh:

i did use the right sealant. i just must of not cleaned it good enough... but thats not the point. the question was is anyone knows anything that i can use for a posible quick fix.... like a sealant or a puddy i can put on along the joint.... a friend of mine said i should try a fuel tank sealer.... so i think im going to try that, unless anyone has anyother ideas

Pretty sure he didn't since he stated between the 2 case halves.:rolleyes: The builder should have at least put RTV between the 2 which is still a no no. Anaerobic gasket maker is what Terry says to sue for everything. It's about $13 a tube so I'm most mom & pop shops skimp. Unless you did the skimping on your own. If you don't send it to Terry then you can't complain when things go wrong. :laugh:

:rolleyes: I love this smiley - makes you look like an ass. I removed my transmission, rebuilt with a torsen, and reinstalled it myself and didn't notice 2 case halfs - sorry.

then how did you get the torsen in? there are two halfs to the trans, the bellhousing side and the main housing side. the two faces must have the silicone sealant between them or it will leak.

then how did you get the torsen in? there are two halfs to the trans, the bellhousing side and the main housing side. the two faces must have the silicone sealant between them or it will leak.

LMAO! That's what I want to know. Who looks like an ass? Not I. Kyle you do know what an MTX looks like right? :D
standard.jpg

Last edited:
Ahh - I know that - I guess I apolgize, you got me confused. For some reason I thought the fluid was leaking from in between the engine and bellhousing, not between the bellhousing and transmission. My line of thinking was along the lines of how could someone be so stupid not to seal somthing like that so I completly omitted it from my thoughts... :blackeye:

Back