• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Gotta bad CV joint boot

97vulcan

CEG'er
Ok, so its in the inner part on the passenger side, near the transmission, its got a rip in it, and grease is coming out. I don't think the joint is bad, but I want to repair this ASAP, but I don't know what the best way to go about it is. Any help is appreciated!.

Thanks,
Adam

Pull the axle & replace. :idea: Napa caries a good one. Too much work to replace just the boot.

Is there a write up for a job like this? I've never done something like this before. Would I replace both axles or just the one?

Adam

Just one.

Instr: Jack up corner, drain trans fluid if its the driver side axle, remove tire, undo 200 ft ft lb axle nut with a breaker bar, unbolt tie rod, unbolt end link, undo knuckle pinch bolt & pop ball joint out of knuckle w/ pry bar, get air chizle to vibrate axle out of hub, grab slide hammer with CV attachment and yank the old axle out while someone hold suspension brake assembly out of way. Slide new axle into diff/ trans, then other end through axle, pop ball joint back into knuckle, lay on back and hard kick rotor to pop axle c-clip into trans. Give the axle a few good hard yanks with hands to make sure axle is seated. Bolt up pinch bolt, tie rod, end link, and finally axle nut(200 ft lbs). Refill trans with some RP Synchromax and put tire back on. Road test.

Wow, I really want to do this soon, but I am kinda a novice at suspension and drivetrain work. About how long does this take to complete? Thanks for all the good info!!

Adam

welp todd will take longer since you dno't have to disconnect the tie rod end and sway bar end link from the hub to take it :)

30 mins for me to do it. If that

How are you going to get the hub side of the axle out of the hub then smart guy?!!!!!! You must be David muthfunkin Copperfield.

there is enough play in the strut to slide it out without taking off the tierod ends and end links. just Balljoint. Did it with the trans swap.

Last edited:
Ok guys! I am going to replace the passenger side axle. Are the NAPA rebuilts pretty good? I mean will they last a long time??

Thanks,
Adam

That sounds like a good deal, however I am going to do the install 2morro. Its gotten worse. Its making a popping sound now.

Adam

Are the NAPA rebuilds good?

i can pull the axles without removing the ball joint :p remove the strut and they just barely clear the hubs

not with coilovers :D 4 bolts and it slides right out and i dont have to try to get the ball joint back into the knuckle

Call whatever you want. Not like I'm gonna sit on CEG as state something that can't be done. Pud was over and Im pretty sure he saw it as well.

Back