• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

heat shield using stock air box???

CONTOURCODY

CEG'er
I'm getting a short ram intake for my V6 Mystique.

I want to get a heat shield on there with the new setup as soon as possible.

Is it possible to use the stock air box and cut it up a bit to create a decent heat shield?

why not just wait untill you have the heat shield? that way you dont have to cut your stock parts up.

You must have misunderstood me.

I'm only getting a short ram intake, not a heat shield. That's why I'm asking about using the stock air box as a heat shield.

65 bucks for a awesome heat shield in the group buy right now, you'll be much better off!

Stop being a cheap a$$ and get the heatshield that works from the Group buy.

I say try and make the stock heatshield work. If you can fit a conical filter in there, I say go for it. If not, you havent wasted any money. It probably would work better than the one in the group buy since its protected on both top and bottom from heatsoak. The ones in the GB though are mighty purdy! :drool:

Wouldnt the plastic absorb heat faster than metal meaning that the heat would get to the filter faster with a plastic shield than a metal shield.

Last edited:
Aluminum also sheds heat very easily, which is why it's commonly used for heatsinks/radiators. My pud heatsheild is often cold or at least much cooler than the surrounding areas. I don't think a factory plastic unit would be much, if any, better.

Aluminum also sheds heat very easily, which is why it's commonly used for heatsinks/radiators. My pud heatsheild is often cold or at least much cooler than the surrounding areas. I don't think a factory plastic unit would be much, if any, better.

The problem I still have with this is, if it sheds heat just as easily, wouldn't it transfer the heat to the inside area where the filter is?? It's all theory on my part, I just don't know what I'm missing besides some sort of design technique that would draw heat and passively transfer it away from the filter.

The only reason why I would think the stock unit would be better is not because of the material its made out of, but because its enclosed on all sides. Making it work is the hard part.

The only reason why I would think the stock unit would be better is not because of the material its made out of, but because its enclosed on all sides. Making it work is the hard part.
Doesn't this defeat the purpose of using an open element filter? Why haven't CEG members been trying to stuff bigger filters into the stock airbox all this time? (not being facetious!)

I know it'll be tough trying to use the stock box but I'm still going to give it a try. I've got quite a list of repairs that need to done to my car, so if I can save a few bucks by making my own heat shield then I'll be happy. My intake kit should arrive by the end of the week. So sometime within the next 2 weeks I'll hopefully have some pictures of my new setup.

Back