• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Pad Dragging, Slider Pins

Matt R

Hard-core CEG'er
I'm positive a pad is dragging or I guess not releasing fully away from the rotor on the driver's side front wheel. I can here a squeaking that gets faster the faster I go, slower the slower I go, and is gone completely when I put my foot on the brakes. The other side isn't doing it. Any idea how to fix this?

Also, I've seen a lot about greasing the slider pins, but can't find anything here or in the Haynes manual. Where are they on the caliper? Can someone provide me with a picture or diagram?

The slider pins are the bolts that hold the calipers to the caliper brackets. They need to be removed to remove the calipers to change the pads and rotors.

It is very likely that they are sticky or frozen and causing your problem. It is also very possible that the pad is stuck from lack of lubrication where the pad backing plate slides along the caliper.

You should remove the pads, clean and lubricate the slide pins, clean and lubricate the pad backing plate anywhere it touches the caliper.

You may also have a stuck caliper piston, and that requires either replacing the caliper or overhauling it.

What I did was replaced the pads. I bought a set of ceramic pads before, and both the outer pads seperated from the backing plate, causing all sorts of problems. I got a new set, which solved the squeaking problems. The new pads came with a set of stick-on shims. Are these absolutely necessary? I didn't put them on, and the brakes are working far better then they ever did before.

The shims help to cut noise. If you are not having noise issues I wouldn't worry about it. Don't throw them away yet though, as sometimes the noise issues starts after the pads have worn a bit.

What kind of noises do the shims eliminate? I sprayed the pads w/ that sticky disc brake quiet stuff, will that accomplish the same thing?

shims?

shims?

the shim is there to help dampen the vibration and vibration is what causes noise that is why you put lube on the back of pads also.

Ok the brakes are working great, the lube definitely helped it out. But now when I pull away after stopping, it sounds like the pads are sticking to the rotor.

Back