• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

E-Bay white overlays how-to

2kSVT

CEG'er
I just bought the white face hvac/headlight control overlays off E-bay.They come with wiring to make then backlit. I think I'm just going to let the light shine through, like my SVT guages. My ? for people who have done them is..did you put them over the existing panel or remove the old one? Gonna install this weekend. Thanks in advance.

Rod

the headlight one i removed the stock one and it looks fine. but not a nice as stock. as for the other one. if you remove the stock one it will look like crap from the light showing through.

Just an update, I installed these over the weekend. I pulled the old hvac overlay off, and put the white one on. The light DOES NOT show through. Unfortunately I had already cut off the wire that makes them backlit. Now I have to buy a new set as you can barely see any light through them even when it is dark outside! I also painted some dash pieces SF, it looks very good so it was not all bad!

Rod

So, if I understand this correctly, you bought the indiglo HVAC with the intentions of letting light shine through, just like stock, right? As madman pointed out, they do make non indiglo white face guages. They're not that hard to find.

not positive on the non indiglo type faces from s&h, i opted to go with the glo gauges instead

the e-bay glo gauges we as simple as peel and stick
you just need wire it to positive and ground i wired my positive
to the illumination wire on the radio harness i grabbed my ground from the radio harness as well.Im sure other people will tell you to grab the wires at the switch but the radio harness was the easiest for me this illumination wire will also allow you to dim the indiglo if needed.

check this out for your wires http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/Ford-Wiring.pdf

Yeah, my intention was to let the stock light shine through. I thought the overlay would be more transparent than it was. The ones I used were from e-bay and had wiring attached. I thought they would glow way brighter than the stock SVT guages and look out of place, so I peeled off the old one,cut off the wires and stuck them on. They look fine until dark, then only the dot on the knobs and a little light come through. So, my experiment failed and I need to buy new ones and wire them or live with them after dark. I was posting the update so everyone will know to wire them up.

Rod

Back