• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rear view mirror help

BlackE1

Veteran CEG'er
I will probably get flamed and get told to turn down my stereo but…

I am having issues with my rear view mirror rattling off the metal bracket that is attached to the window. I have sound proofed the entire car so even when it’s turned up you can barely hear it out side the car.

Any tips or suggestions that any of you have tried to fix this issue?

Thanks

even with that metal retaining clip, it's still coming off? wow, thats some bass u got there....

hmmm... metal retaining clip. Maybe the place that installed my tint took it off an never put it back on. I never had a problem before the tint. But i also upgraded subs.
Where would the retaining clip be located?

super glue (gel form) fixes the problem quite nicely. or any kind of silicone adhesive. Just make sure you clean the parts off with alcohol before you put it on. Also, pray you never need to remove the mirror again.

Last edited:
hmmm... metal retaining clip. Maybe the place that installed my tint took it off an never put it back on. I never had a problem before the tint. But i also upgraded subs.
Where would the retaining clip be located?

it clips on to the top of the base of rear view mirror and holds the mirror in place against the windshield. it's that black metal piece. i remember seeing this when i recently replaced my windshield and it was the last thing they did.

Last edited:
Here is the mount with clip on.
n20303248_32396989_3713.jpg

When I slide it back on it doesn’t seem to go all the way on do I have to remove the clip and then re attach it?
n20303248_32396991_4092.jpg

Last edited:
i remember they attached the mirror first and then put the clip on with some specialized looking pliers.

I have a bunch of pliers but none that I would consider as specialized. I guess I will have to see what I can do to get it stuck back on there. I don’t want to use super glue (to permanent), I wonder if a good healthy coat of clear silicon glue would help with keeping it on the window?

why don't u try going to a windshield replacement shop and ask them to put it on for you? it won't hurt to ask....

You can always get a mirror out of the junkyard with a screw on it instead of the clip...

I put a Gentex mirror to replace the factory mirror, and it had a torx screw in it. Keeps it real tight.

Back