• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Sanded headlights

winty87

CEG'er
I finally got around to sanding the haze and most of the cracks out of my headlights. They look close to brand new, I love it. There were very tiny spider cracks that are halfway down, must be heat cracks from the lights but I'm cool with it. Today I'm going to pick up some T-Red paint and paint on the eye-lids and paint the Oval.

Old:
DSC_2252.jpg

New:
DSC_2251.jpg

Yeah they look 10x better than they originally did. Today I did do the T-Red eyelids. They are in the basement drying till tomorrow till I take the paint off. tomorrow I'm going to be wetsanding the entire headlight starting with 800 grit working up to 2000, then putting 2 layers of clear coat on after I polish them to really make em shine!

Ohhhh, I cant wait till morning to take the rest of the tape off!

DSC_2257.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah they look 10x better than they originally did. Today I did do the T-Red eyelids. They are in the basement drying till tomorrow till I take the paint off. tomorrow I'm going to be wetsanding the entire headlight starting with 800 grit working up to 2000, then putting 2 layers of clear coat on after I polish them to really make em shine!

Ohhhh, I cant wait till morning to take the rest of the tape off!
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b196/WintyMP3/DSC_2257.jpg

i hope there's A LOT of tape there man cause your output is gunna suck something terrible with that squinty of an eyelid. I mean how much output do you think i'd get with my EYE BALLS.

well that tape is easily 3/4 to an inch thick. The output is perfectly fine because the paint doesn't really overlap the actual bucket that projects the light.

interesting coincidence, i just did mine and my friends outback today... they look a million times better and my car is looking sharp. if it doesn't rain tonight i'll take some pics.

what kind of paint did you use to do those headlights?

I bought two cans of Duplicolor Toreador red from murrays. If you plan on doing this, buy two cans of the Duplicolor primer (5 oz cans) and buy atleast 2 big cans of Duplicolor Acrylic enamel for the clearcoat. Thats my only gripe was I thought I put enough coats on but I really should've.

Do 6 coats of primer. 6-7 of color. then atleast 8 of the clearcoats

Back