• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

pre98 console swap

nothing different other than an ATX plate instead of the shift boot. the opening is the same on pre98s

nothing different other than an ATX plate instead of the shift boot. the opening is the same on pre98s
alright cool thanks
and is there a complete pieces list anywhere so you know you have all the parts before you start the swap?

Try to get the plate with the console, I found out the hard way theres about three different versions...

Last edited:
you need the entire console, the two peices that are in the foot wellsthat over lap on to the console. you`ll see what it is if you go to the yard. you also need the trim bezel that goes around the HVAC and radio. the post 98 will not work. and if you have a MTX its nice to get the shift boot mounting plate. cupholders if you want them. and you need the arm rest. post 98`s will not work. diffrent desighn. make sure console has all the items such as ashtray,cigerate lighter soround, the trim that goes under both of those. its like a little black plastic peice. and alsothe storage compartment. that goes under the radio. thats all you need. plus all little screws n caps

after gauge bezel (the volt gauge is just a filler as i already have one)
Picture001-1.jpg

how did the bezel mount in the dash?

how did the bezel mount in the dash?
it mounts with 2 tabs on either end that you bend over. the hardest part was getting it in since its a little bit wider than our DIN slot. i had to file down the ends a bit. its still not perfect but its in and im not taking it out.

it mounts with 2 tabs on either end that you bend over. the hardest part was getting it in since its a little bit wider than our DIN slot. i had to file down the ends a bit. its still not perfect but its in and im not taking it out.

thanks, think I will order one then, I want a few more gages and this should work nicely

thanks, think I will order one then, I want a few more gauges and this should work nicely
another plus is that its easy to wire in the gauges. you dont have to try to feed the wires through a small section at the base of the a-pillar that you cant see.

BrApple, if you want some more detailed pics of the gauge bezel let me know and ill get them tonight.

BrApple, if you want some more detailed pics of the gauge bezel let me know and ill get them tonight.

if you like but you don't have to, from what you said I am sure I can figure out how to mount it, sounds like the sleeve for an aftermarket radio.

as for connections, sounds like one could tap the radio harness for power, ground and dimmer.

if you like but you don't have to, from what you said I am sure I can figure out how to mount it, sounds like the sleeve for an aftermarket radio.

as for connections, sounds like one could tap the radio harness for power, ground and dimmer.
you could do that for the connections. since all of my lighting is LEDs the dimmer doesnt do anything anyways so it was not a concern of mine.

I understand that the pre-98 hvac/radio bezel is "supposed" to be a must need but I dont have it in mine and it works fine. I have a pre-98 one but havent painted it yet and and currently using my post 98 and its fine

5y9a6hy.jpg

No striker it isnt, I got it from a yard out of a contour. Its a very early edition one where the pop down covers the lighter and tray, very rare too.

well another mod i need to do, and i still dont have the car lol. It does look a LOT better then the 98+. I'll have to talk my friends into hittin the junk yards...that should be real hard :rolleyes:

here are some update pics of mine as of tthis afternoon. Just need to swap the A/F gauge to the phantom one and finish wiring up the new three in the center console and connect to the senders

DSC04176.JPG

DSC04178.JPG

did you have any problems getting the gauge pod in BrApple?

it looks good and they are fairly easy to see while driving.

did you have any problems getting the gauge pod in BrApple?

it looks good and they are fairly easy to see while driving.

no real problems, I filed the left side down so that it would fit. I then removed the bezel and when it was seated I bent the tabs back more to help secure it.

I am still debaiting if i swap them for the radio as I think the great angle the gauges would be at would be better for me. Plus the guages that would be behind the shifter are oil and water temp so i don't have to see them all of the time where as I might want to be able to read the radio easier ...

Back