• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Dash Warpage

Alright guys, I've searched and found things about the fix. But i have question. I was at a junkyard today and saw something.

First off this is what my dash looks like
http://www.freeimagehost.eu/image/09f8941430800
http://www.freeimagehost.eu/image/0b8ac31430801

And this was at the junkyard, See between the red lines??
http://www.freeimagehost.eu/image/a1a4b71430802
http://www.freeimagehost.eu/image/4a97b81430803

It's like a cover that would go over my defrost vent, covering the warpage. How easy is that to remove?? Im going back this weekend to get it, but i wanna know if i have to remove the dash to take it out.

I'm also looking for this interior piece. My dash has been screwed down, but I'd like this piece to cover it up because it's pretty ugly. Anyone have any idea where I can get it?

I'm also looking for this interior piece. My dash has been screwed down, but I'd like this piece to cover it up because it's pretty ugly. Anyone have any idea where I can get it?

Not to sound like an arse, but did you read further down the thread? That is part of the pre98 dash, and according to CSVT1214's post, it does not fit right...

Not to sound like an arse, but did you read further down the thread? That is part of the pre98 dash, and according to CSVT1214's post, it does not fit right...

skimmed through the thread and never noticed that. It won't just slide right on top? I don't even care if I have to secure it with sticky tape, as long as it looks better than this

image029tk9.jpg

:help:

Not entirely correct. My 98 has it. I think it was the 98.5 model that did away with the defroster vent cover. I'll try and remember to take a look at it tomorrow and see if there's any way to tell how it is secured to the dash. If I can see anything I'll try and snap a couple of pics of the connection points.

and for the record, at the jy the other day there was a 2000 contour that had that piece.

mine will also just sit on top of the dash with double sided tape holding it down

The part shown in the pic is part of the dash and can not be removed or put on another dash...... The part that looks similar that was seen in a JY on a 2k car, (I'd bet) is a part that comes in the dash warp repair kit from ford. It is metal and is attached with pop rivets. Do some research look at the pics that have been posted of repairs, but don't think you can install the plastic piece your talking about unless you install the whole dash. That style dash ran from 95 - 98, 99 - 00 do not have that style HVAC duct. You can install that dash in your car or even do the Mystique one, and the instrument panel fits since they are all the same as far as shape and mountings. Just be sure to use your wiring harness.

If you want to make a proper repair contact Bill Jenkins @ Team Ford for the kit, about $70.

No matter what you do you will need to pull the dash to get to it. It is a matter of 8 or 9 screws (on the dash) and about 1 1/2 hrs. I suggest that you get a dash ($20 +/-) any style, do any repairs needed and then swap them. A nice Saturday project.

AF

well looking at it, it is a plastic piece. It does not get riveted to the dash like the warp fix does. The hvac stuff is different, but i'll manage to make it work.let alone the side on teh door says 01/00 for the builddate.

I don't care about pullin the dash at the junkyard to get the part. But when i put it on mine, i will install it with double sided tape to hide the dash warpage and nobody will know the difference. I'm only doing it this way so once i push the warpaged down and glue it i can hide it so it won't look so ugly.

As long as it doesn't rain imma do it this weekend.once i get it i'll post some pics showing it fits.

Check out 99-00 dashes in the JY they may have the C clips around the defroster vents under the grill. If they do get them and install them on yours. You might even find the plastic grill vent is the correct one that snaps in place with the tabs that go into the pad. If it is you can also install that one.... all that stuff will help you fix your dash. I think you will find that it is welded in place and will not come apart with out making a mess of it. I can't believe you can really make that part actually work as you think.. but I hope you can.

AF

i have a 99-00 dash.....?
so i don't need any c clips my are all still there.
and i don't care to much about a mess as it's not my dash. I'll pull it out just to unscrew the part i want.

I'm not saying it'll be the easiest task to make it work. but i think i'll be able to. I mean i swapped a 93 dash out of my pgt and put a 97 dash in, and had to work with all the airbag crap, and the defrost parts weren't 100% identical but close and i was able to get it all working, and even though the dashes where different i was able to get the 93 ducting to work.

i have a 99-00 dash.....?
so i don't need any c clips my are all still there.
and i don't care to much about a mess as it's not my dash. I'll pull it out just to unscrew the part i want.

Yes those dashes are the same. You may or may not have the C clips. There is also a C strip that goes along the front edge next to the windshield.

The part you are talking about does not unscrew. It is molded as part of the dash, may be plastic welded I don't recall exactly, but it does not just come apart. It would be easier to just swap dashes and be done with it. HVAC, air bag, and mountings are all the same, all years.

AF

hmmm i'll have to pull the dash and look. but i thought it came apart because i used a screw driver and was able to pry one off a little but. it was a mb dash so i didn't worry about messing it up.

Well..Bill Jenkings couldnt get a hold of the dashboard..dagnabitt!!

Now, if he has the fix-kit..I thought it didnt work with such badly warped cases....Man, it looks like $:censored::censored::censored::censored:!!!..:)

Well..Bill Jenkings couldnt get a hold of the dashboard..dagnabitt!!

Now, if he has the fix-kit..I thought it didnt work with such badly warped cases....Man, it looks like $:censored::censored::censored::censored:!!!..:)

The kit will work with them all. Just follow the instructions and do a proper job of it.

Now as for me I just normally do things a bit different anyway b/c I want to find out the cause and how to make it better than just throwing a fix on it. This attitude usually causes me to do a lot more work on an issue than is actually required, but I learn a lot too. When I repaired my dash I did a lot of reglueing and clamping using a spray glue for vinyl and plastic. It seemed to do the job so well that I didn't use the whole kit, I left off the part that goes over the air vent b/c I didn't like the look of it. If my repairs don't end up holding over the long run I will install it as a last resort. I would urge someone using the kit to use a heat gun on a low heat setting and reform the dash pad b4 applying the kit. Just my personal thought on it and is probably not required to get a good final product since I doubt that a dealer would waste the time on doing that.

my 2 cents,
AF

Back